Hello WUS, many firsts in this thread

Thread: Hello WUS, many firsts in this thread

Hello WUS, many firsts in this thread

You all need an newbie introduction forum (unless you do and I just passed over it). Well this is my FIRST post, FIRST vintage watch, FIRST badly damaged watch, and the first lesson of many I am sure I will learn the hard way.

It's a Waltham 100 with some aftermarket expandable Speidel USA band. I took it to a reputable repair shop and after a quick inspection, they notified me that the inside was in a very bad state of disrepair. From what I can remember, they said the balance staff was broken, balance was only rotating about 90*, and was in desperate need of cleaning/oil. Not to mention he printed out a scatter plot that usually shows how fast or slow the watch might be moving and mine looked like a Lichtenstein. The movement looked free of rust to me, although the edge of the case had some green tarnish on it. The gasket looked to be in decent condition. So maybe some time down the road when this has sentimental value as being the first vintage watch I ever bought, I'll shell out the money to get it repaired.

Pics (sorry, no movement shots):
    Name:  IMG_5165.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  139.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_5166.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  145.1 KB

Here's to the next purchase being useable!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Hello WUS, many firsts in this thread

Welcome to Watchuseek. If the balance staff is broken, you have zero chance of the watch working, let alone working well. It will probably tick a little either dial up or down (depending which end of the staff is broken) but no more. Fixing it should be manageable once you identify the movement (or the watchmaker servicing it does). After that, if nothing else needs replacement, the whole lot may come up quite nicely. Certainly looking at the exterior, I wouldn't suspect any more wrong with it than that.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hartmut Richter

Hi and welcome,

Sounds like you the right attitude for this mad world of vintage watches!!!

Other than the movement, the watch looks in quite nice shape.... clean dial, nice early 60s(?) style...

Some pics of the movement would be nice??

Congrats and glad to hear this first purchase has not put you off....

cheers
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and welcome, I bought a pocket watch with a broken balance but was determined to have it working again. So found a guy that searched for me a new balance and then he serviced it, it took a while but to me was worth it and it only cost me £50 for the guy. So good luck in your search for a working vintage piece and look forward to future post.

Hi Dave, welcome

Movement pics:

hopefully I photographed what needed to be seen.

WELCOME DAVE!
    I have been in your shoes, more times than I would like to admit. I have wanted to throw in the towel many times but these awesome times pieces are just to cool to give up. Nice watch look forward to seeing more posts about it. Hang in there!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is a relatively ordinary Adolf Schild AS 1700:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1700

...for which it should still be possible to find parts. In any case, Ranfft gives an indication of the right typ of balance staff (U3140 for a balance without temperature compensation screws, which is what you have got) so a professional watchmaker may be able to find a replacement on the basis of that.

Hartmut Richter
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; May 27th, 2012 at 23:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The movement is a relatively ordinary Adolf Schild AS 1700:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1700

...for which it should still be possible to find parts. In any case, Ranfft gives an indication of the right typ of balance staff (U3140 for a balance without temperature compensation screws, which is what you have got) so a professional watchmaker may be able to find a replacement on the basis of that.

Hartmut Richter
    Thanks for the info!

Thread Information