Help about dating watch
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Philipcollector
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Help about dating watch

Help about dating watch

I hope you can help me, about the precise dates of watch.
    Watch is Aero Watch Neuchatel powered by mechanism Landeron 48.
    Watch the unusual design casing, gold plated and below gold plating the alloy is not iron neither brass (white metal, but does not act magnet, I am a little confused).
    Dimensions are 37 mm without crown.
    Watch is made between the late thirties and early fifties of the twentieth century - probably between 1940-1945, so I guess - So my little knowledge can determine the time of production.
    I hope that more experienced colleagues on this forum, can precisely determine time of production of this watch, and eventually the material which is made casing (because if I polished casing that can not be damaged, and one foot is a little distort, but I'm afraid rectify, that would not be broken, because I do not know the origin of the alloy.).

Name:  AW01.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  239.0 KBName:  AW02.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  301.1 KBName:  AW03.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  155.8 KBName:  AW04.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  90.2 KBName:  AW05.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  182.7 KBName:  AW06.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  119.4 KBName:  AW07.jpg
Size:  320.1 KBName:  AW07b.jpg
Size:  320.6 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Help about dating watch

It must have been manufactured sometime after 1945 (when the brand was registered) and very early 1950s (it doesn't look like it has any shock device). Manufacture date before 1945, as I've said, is out of question.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

And I know how to read (mikrolisk.de). Very often information about the registration of a brand is incorrect, because in the past had not precise wrote down, especially before World War II, and many papers have been lost, especially for small village manufactures.
    Definitely I know that Aero Watch created in 1910. And in 1935 changed its name to Aero Watch Neuchatel, and since then it's in the logo of the watch. Also I know that Landeron 48 products in 1937, and in my watch is Landeron without incabloc system - first units were without it.
    I think the only way to determine year of production watch, based on the style and design casing and dial.
    Sorry if I offended anybody, not my intention
    Philip
    Last edited by Philipcollector; February 22nd, 2015 at 13:31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No offense taken, never mind. Though Incabloc was patented in the 30s, there were quite a lot of chronograph movements which had no shock device until early 1950s. Landeron movements included. If it is as you say, the watch can be from 1937 just as well as 1947. What can account for the theory, that it's a 30s watch, are fixed lug bars. The dial style seems more 1940s to me, though.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information