Help about this rare Longines Eberhard pocket watch

Thread: Help about this rare Longines Eberhard pocket watch

Question Help about this rare Longines Eberhard pocket watch

Hi i have won one Longines pocket watch.The dial is marked Longines Eberhard Milan.The back dial is marked Steiger 11 434.

This pockwatch have the balance staff broken i need a new staff.

I have see many longines movement bud i can see wich is my movement reference number.

The serial number is 1649196. In the movement you can see the number 22107. It is a wery thin movement 3,7 mm, the center size of the movement is 36,5 mm and the external size is 43mm.

Can you help me to indentify this movement and where i can buy a new staff.

I have open this thread in Longines forum,at the moment i don't have a reply

Thanks

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help about this rare Longines Eberhard pocket watch

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

The serial number places production around 1904.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The serial number dates the watch to 1904. The movement is very similar to a Cal 15.94 but there are differences.

I suspect the staff is no longer available from spare parts. A new one can be made. The last time my watchmaker made a balance staff he charged $1,500 US "and I lost money doing it" he told me. At least that price included a full service.

Unless you are a Longines collector and need this watch, you can spend that kind of money and get a working watch or two.

Maybe others will know of a cache of balance staffs somewhere.

This is another good example of the poor economics of buying broken watches and paying to bring them back to life. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

1500 for a staff? All it costs is time, (and a bit of steel), so if he lost money on that, his hourly rate must be really, really high! Unless he means some change fell out of his pocket and rolled under the bench....
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    The serial number dates the watch to 1904. The movement is very similar to a Cal 15.94 but there are differences.

I suspect the staff is no longer available from spare parts. A new one can be made. The last time my watchmaker made a balance staff he charged $1,500 US "and I lost money doing it" he told me. At least that price included a full service.
    Jules Borel has listings for balance staffs for many of the older Longines calibers. They run about $6 each plus shipping, a bit less if you buy three or more.

Jules Borel & Company

The question is, which one do you need? For that, a positive ID of the movement is required.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Banned

So far there's been some good guesses but none have hit the bull's eye. For the record, you have a caliber 18.89. If you take a close look at the barrel & ratchet wheel positions you'll see that the other possibilities mentioned are in the opposite positions. Those unique bridge shapes were common among at least a dozen movements of varying size after the turn of the century (starting around 1902 - 03), including the 11.88, 19.96, 10.85, 12.91, 15.93, 19.95, 24.99, 18.89, 18.90, 13.81, 12.92, and 11.87 that I know of. Longines didn't design any more new movements with the same bridge configuration after 1909, but those movements probably remained in use for another decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    1500 for a staff? All it costs is time, (and a bit of steel), so if he lost money on that, his hourly rate must be really, really high! Unless he means some change fell out of his pocket and rolled under the bench....
    It was for a Patek and he grossly undercut the bids by his competition.

He did say it took him a day and a half.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Many thanks to all forum participants.

I've seen mentioned movements and none are exactly alike.

I will send the bad staff to the seller Jules Borel & Company and i hope to be lucky

Thanks

Thread Information