help and/or advice vintage Hamilton pocketwatch

Thread: help and/or advice vintage Hamilton pocketwatch

help and/or advice vintage Hamilton pocketwatch

Hello;

This is my first post, please be kind. I’m young person who inherited some family ‘keepsakes’; amongst which is a Hamilton pocket watch. I’ve researched over time at university library & online. It belonged to my great grandfather. I would appreciate any further verification of information I’ve compiled. Also any opinions as to whether this is collectible or just simply a ‘keepsake’ more than anything else.

Over a 30 day period I checked time against PC clock synched to Naval Observatory & never noticed more than + or – 1 second during the 30 days. The engraved case with accompanying 15” filigreed ‘fob’ ending with man’s cigar cutter in same design is in perfect condition. No visible scratches on any part of case or crystal. Some very minor scratching on cigar cutter. The face is very bright & clean but there are some very small ‘imperfections’ (for lack of proper word) on inside of crystal look like cloud but not visible except under magnification.

I’m not sure if details below would automatically tell one of you experts that dial face has Arabic bold numerals (minus the 6) & second hand in the 6 position; with additional small red numerals 5 to 60 at Arabic number positions).
    Works:
    Serial#: 1670165 (reference charts seem to indicate 1919-1920)
    Size (believe) 16
    Engraved as #974
    17 jewels
    Hamilton Watch Works, Lancaster Pa
    Open faced
    Screw on back & front (not opened front)

Case:
    S.W.W.Co (with engraved small app ¼” star symbol above SWWCo)
    14 Kt
    Gold Filled
    25 years

I believe this means Star Watch Case Company of Michigan (also fits time period) & other information being more obvious except for the 7-digit number at the bottom (case style?)

Entire watch appears in like new condition.

One last question does the engraved initials centered on back case diminish any value or make it a ‘keepsake’ only. Was carefully stored in presentation box from jeweler who went out of business at close of World War II.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Regards;
    Kim

Re: help and/or advice vintage Hamilton pocketwatch

Pics would help a lot but there is no doubt in my mind it is both an heirloom keepsake and collectable.

The number on the case was Star's serial number. It's meaning is lost to time... such is the nature of reality.

The initials on the case are common and generally have no effect on value but, since they match your relative's, they actually enhance the provenance and might well increase its value... They certainly increase its heirloom value.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Eeeb; thank you for reply. Will post pics but need borrow camera w decent lens. Thought number on case might indicate engraving but would make life far too easy > Do appreciate your time. Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like a very nice watch with family history - Hamilton certainly made some top-quality watches. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

BTW: I like personal engraving on watches...

Movement was assembled in 1922 as per the following:

Hamilton Pocket Watch Information: Serial Number 1670165 (Grade 974)

Here is a copy of the Hamilton 1923 catalog.

Hamilton Catalog 1923

While there is no exact picture of the watch in there, there is a description of the Grade 974 movement along with several photos of different dial styles.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Thread Information