Help with Bulova crown ID, please
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Help with Bulova crown ID, please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Bulova crown ID, please

Well, it's finally here, the crown I ordered from the unresponsive eBayer (wouldn't confirm if crown was signed "Bulova") and about which I started the thread "Death to eBay GSP" a while back.

Is this crown a Bulova crown, or just a crown with a "B" cast into it? I seem to recall some other mention made recently about this, but can't see the thread. I asked bobbee about it, too, and he sent me a picture of his Bulova Bruce with a Bulova signed crown on it (shown here, hope that's ok, B). But his crown profile (flat top, straight sided, a #142, I think) and mine (stepped, #139) are different. I'm showing the Bulova catalog page, too, but this only shows the side-on view.

So a definitive answer please: are Bulova crowns either: 1. signed with the full name or no name - or 2. are there those with just the "B," like this one? Many thanks, all.

Name:  _MDH8461.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  218.0 KBName:  _MDH8462.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  214.1 KBName:  1950_S_bruce.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  101.8 KBName:  Bulova watch crowns-1.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  255.4 KB

Re: Help with Bulova crown ID, please

Been discussing this with a good friend of mine and as far as we can tell, not all Bulova crowns were signed but we've never seen one with just a B, I'm wondering, Benrus?

Matt
    simpletreasures likes this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Well, I can't say with 100% certainty, but I looked at all my Bulova watches with signed crowns and they all say "Bulova", no "B's" in the lot.

I'd be inclined to agree with Matt, I believe it's a Benrus crown.
    busmatt likes this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yea I've checked my bulovas also. Either plain crown or bulova spelled out. One's I have shopped for have had either also. Can't be sure if I've never seen just a B but can't remember ever seeing one. I was trying to figure out what this one went to that is on my Eterna.

Name:  1208150813_HDR-1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  166.4 KB
    Last edited by bsshog40; December 8th, 2015 at 15:18.
    busmatt likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

What dimensions do you need of the crown and what tapsize? Next time I'll order some parts I'll ask if he has a Bulova signed crown. Probably he does.

-edit- Better yet, do you have a casenumber or model ref.?
    Last edited by Vintage1982; December 8th, 2015 at 15:16.
    busmatt likes this.

Looks the same as mine! So possibly a Benrus, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    Yea I've checked my bulovas also. Either plain crown or bulova spelled out. One's I have shopped for have had either also. Can't be sure if I've never seen just a B but can't remember ever seeing one. I was trying to figure out what this one went to that is on my Eterna.

So here is a crown on a Benrus. Looks more like the one on my Eterna. Doesn't look flat like the one you have.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-12-08-08-43-58.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  915.9 KB

Then I found this 1967 Bulova with a single B crown. Although it still doesn't look the style of your crown.

Name:  bulovadiveblacknylon_02.jpg
Size:  40.4 KB
    Name:  bulovadiveblacknylon_04.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  15.0 KB
    Last edited by bsshog40; December 8th, 2015 at 16:29.
    busmatt likes this.

OK, I just got word back from a friend who's big in the watch parts after market who said that a crown marked with a "B" was "probably" for Benrus, as we all have speculated. He also said that some after market crowns made by jobbers could be ordered with various markings on the outside of the crown.

As far a being original, he sent me some old pictures of marked watch crowns (true originals). You be the judge.

Name:  marked crowns.jpg
Size:  213.5 KB
    Name:  marked crowns 1.jpg
Size:  303.0 KB
    Name:  marked crowns 2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  298.7 KB
    Name:  Benrus crown.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  8.7 KB

He did say that Bulova did have a crown with only a "B" on it but it was during the "latter" years of Bulova, prior to the sale of the company, but he believes that these were "outsourced" because they would come and have to be re-tapped prior to installation and were of very low quality?
    busmatt likes this.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Hi

Okay, so the crown on your Eterna is almost certainly a Benrus. Crowns come in all sorts of profiles, sizes and shapes. That mine is a flat top and yours is domed doesn't mean they're not both Benrus. They both have the same raised "B," so I'm pretty sure they're both Benrus, just different profiles.

Your Eterna should have a domed steel (also called white in the watch world) crown with 5 raised dots on it, similar to the logo on the dial. On your model it would be around 5 mm or so in diameter. They're often available on eBay.

Big Ben's watch is not a Bulova crown, I believe. I think he's just popped on a divers style crown and it happened to be… a Benrus crown. I'm enclosing a picture from dealer Style in Time showing a 666 that he's now sold; I have a lot more faith in the overall accuracy of SiT than I do Big Ben, so I'd say that he's right and Ben is wrong, myself, as is the Sarasota dude.

Name:  Bulova 666.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  64.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    So here is a crown on a Benrus. Looks more like the one on my Eterna. Doesn't look flat like the one you have.

Then I found this 1967 Bulova with a single B crown. Although it still doesn't look the style of your crown.

Name:  bulovadiveblacknylon_02.jpg
Size:  40.4 KB
    Name:  bulovadiveblacknylon_04.jpg
Size:  15.0 KB

I was typing this as you were posting. Lol Ok then, looks like we have Benrus crowns. Lol

The Bulova and Accutron crowns shown above look to be original with what I have and seen. I'm still curious as to the crown showing on that Bulova 666 I posted. It seems to be rounded on top. The Benrus seems to be distinct with the circled B and rounded also. The OP's crown looks to be flat and the B is a bold letter type.

And thanks for the info on my crown. I have seen some eternas but not sure of the size or threads. I don't have my measuring tools available. I will have to change it out as the Benrus crown has a bent thread shaft.
    Last edited by bsshog40; December 8th, 2015 at 18:00.
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information