Help with buying my first vintage watch
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with buying my first vintage watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with buying my first vintage watch

Hey guys

After doing research for about two months, posting questions in other threads, checking channels from youtube and articles on hodinkee, I'm about to move for my first vintage watch and this is my first thread on WUS.

Along the way, I have been influenced by others from WUS about style, calibre, etc. and in the end I've set my mind on a vintage Omega Seamaster or Geneve mainly for three reasons:
    1. They both look elegant to me
    2. More affordable
    3. Official OVD for reference

In the beginning, I was checking ebay and chrono24 frequently, until one day, when I searched a specific reference no. on Google, Buyee came up. Basically, Buyee helps you purchase on the auction site of Yahoo Japan. Since then, I've been checking ebay and Yahoo Auction instead and found some good deals imo. I've trimmed down my long watch list and here are the listings I'm considering right now:
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u190906530
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r238464320
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/v521907986
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e249295413
    Are they legit and at good prices? Which is the best buy in your opinion?
    All of the above pages are in Japanese but Google Translate does a good job. Btw 1 USD is approximately 100 Japanese Yen.
    Thank you! :D

Re: Help with buying my first vintage watch

Was I to choose from these I would go with the first one with 752, best condition, sharp case, nice dial, just needs a crystal change, that cyclop is wrong
    leftystevie likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Not sure where in the world you reside, but have you checked with your local customs and excise how much duty and vat you will be required to pay bringing goods in from another country ?
    I'm based in the UK and hardly ever buy from the United States because I need to pay approx 30 % on top of the purchase price in duties , vat and vat on the postage. Apparently we have a 'special relationship' with the US ?
    All watches from the EU currently cost the same as buying in the UK but even that will probably stop when we leave the EU.
    UK customs are not very helpful and will only say " The local officer will inform you how much you owe when your parcel arrives "
    I would imagine buying from Japan would be the same.
    busmatt likes this.
    Miles Kingston
    'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.'

Lady Astor to Churchill - 'If you were my husband, I'd poison your tea'
    Churchill to Lady Astor – 'If you were my wife I'd drink it !

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The 166.010 appeals to me the most, despite the minor dial damage. I would say that all of the current prices are basically fair prices, like you would pay in a no-reserve eBay auction. None are huge bargains. However, if these are auctions, the prices may still rise. And I don't know how fees work on this site. Some auction sites have buyers premiums.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Was I to choose from these I would go with the first one with 752, best condition, sharp case, nice dial, just needs a crystal change, that cyclop is wrong
    Didn't know the crystal is wrong, thanks for pointing out :D

Quote Originally Posted by kazrich View Post
    Not sure where in the world you reside, but have you checked with your local customs and excise how much duty and vat you will be required to pay bringing goods in from another country ?
    I'm based in the UK and hardly ever buy from the United States because I need to pay approx 30 % on top of the purchase price in duties , vat and vat on the postage. Apparently we have a 'special relationship' with the US ?
    All watches from the EU currently cost the same as buying in the UK but even that will probably stop when we leave the EU.
    UK customs are not very helpful and will only say " The local officer will inform you how much you owe when your parcel arrives "
    I would imagine buying from Japan would be the same.
    I live in China and the tax they charge is like a lottery thing. Although I've never bought watches, from previous experience of purchasing from another country, I found that the customs randomly pick the package to charge and the percentage they charge seems random (from 10% to 60%) too...Packages from some carriers rarely get charged, say Royal Mail, packages sent by them never get taxed. Thanks for your advice!
    kazrich and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    The 166.010 appeals to me the most, despite the minor dial damage. I would say that all of the current prices are basically fair prices, like you would pay in a no-reserve eBay auction. None are huge bargains. However, if these are auctions, the prices may still rise. And I don't know how fees work on this site. Some auction sites have buyers premiums.
    Thanks Dan, the 166.010 is my favourite. Since I was new to that site, to see how the price could end up, I just let the last listing end without bidding and no one else bid either. Now I got the second chance and guess the price would be around that figure :D
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by leftystevie View Post
    Thanks Dan, the 166.010 is my favourite. Since I was new to that site, to see how the price could end up, I just let the last listing end without bidding and no one else bid either. Now I got the second chance and guess the price would be around that figure :D
    I have made some of my best purchases in auctions where the starting bid is near the actual value of the watch. I think this is a terrible selling strategy; it is better to start the price low and allow momentum to develop, but it represents an opportunity for a knowledgeable buyer who is willing to jump in and get a watch for a fair price.

16610 will not unpolish ever
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    16610 will not unpolish ever
    This is a good point, it has certainly been polished, and is probably not appropriate for a high-end collector. But the chamfers are still visible and may be acceptable for the OP.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 10.06.25 AM.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  30.1 KB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information