Help Buying (or Not Buying) Vintage Seamaster

Thread: Help Buying (or Not Buying) Vintage Seamaster

Help Buying (or Not Buying) Vintage Seamaster

I'm a complete novice with a sudden impulse to buy a vintage Omega. I'm looking at this Seamaster on Ebay: 35MM VINTAGE OMEGA SEAMASTER NICE 24 JEWEL CAL. 565 AUTO DATE MENS WATCH | eBay. It's $500. Bad idea?

Re: Help Buying (or Not Buying) Vintage Seamaster

This is a tough one...

I think that this is very nice example of an early 1960's Seamaster. Condition of the case and movement looks good. The case reference and movement checks out, so I don't think it's a frankenwatch. The buckle is a reproduction, but most of them are. The only significant flaw I can see is that the seconds hand may have either been broken or incorrectly replaced with one that's a little too short. It should go out to the minute markers closer to the edge of the dial.

What makes this difficult is the price. For that money I would expect it to be just about perfect. However, replacing the seconds hand with a proper Omega one isn't a big deal financially if you are using the right watchmaker and it would be difficult to find one in better condition for less.

The seller is to be commended for giving a lot of high-resolution pictures of the watch.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

While discussing prices is usually against most forum policies, I would suggest you view some completed auctions and see what the going/selling prices are for an all stainless steel Omega watch with a scratch in the dial :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From local dealer got similar nice condition well serviced less than your price, but I consider it a real bargain. So yours a marginal deal in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 26th, 2011 at 05:01.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem too bad.
    I can't see clearly, but there is a considerable scratch near the crystal date-window (reflex?) and, as expected, some scratchs on the dial. Better talk to a friendly watchmaker and see how much will cost to bring this piece up to 'as new' condition.

Cheers

Thread Information