Help with buying older JLC!

Thread: Help with buying older JLC!

Help with buying older JLC!

Hi,

I hope this is the right place to post this! I am buying an older JLC watch as a christmas present. As my budget is very restricted, I need some help finding the "best buy" of the following watches (or possibly another suggestion, I really just want a good starter watch for my brother):

1. Vintage LeCoultre 10K Gold Filled Men's Watch Manual Wind w/ Linen Dial | eBay
    2. Jaeger LeCoultre Herrenarmbanduhr Ref 1919 | eBay
    3. Jaeger-LeCoultre 60er Jahre for $.1,306 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24
    4. eBay: Neue und gebrauchte Elektronikartikel, Autos, Kleidung, Sammlerst

Any fakes or terrible no gos? Thank you so much, any help is much appreciated!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help with buying older JLC!

Welcome to the forum. The second one would be the only one that is barely acceptable to me. Why? It is th eonly one with movement pictures! Otherwise, you never know what's inside and/or what state it is in. On top of that, depending on your view in the matter, beware of redials (done up/restored dials). Some consider them an instant exclusion criterion, others are quite willing to accept them if the watch looks nicer that way. Fact of the matter is, however, that they will decrease the value of the watch. So, even if you are willing to accept them, make sure you don't overpay! The third watch looks rather suspicious - the "chronometer cross" doesn't line up exactly with the hour markers. That makes it look as if it is a redial, but there are some signs of wear. The alternative option is that it has then been applied post hoc to a slightly worn but generally good dial to make a non chronometer watch is actually a chronometer.

Hartmut Richter

I don't have much experience as to which watch is best, but I do have this advice... if it's a christmas present then you'd better pick one thats within shipping distance in time. If you're in North America and you're trying to get a watch from Germany it might not go so well.

PS: I have to agree on the total lack of pictures of movements, and I don't like these buy it now only sales, you can guarantee that that BIN price is usually top dollar.
    Last edited by Ebouwman; December 17th, 2011 at 22:22.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much for your much needed answers! I see your point: the second one looked the best for me, too. Very merry christmas!

Thread Information