Help with buying vintage Omega for son's 21st
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with buying vintage Omega for son's 21st

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with buying vintage Omega for son's 21st

Hi,

I would be very grateful for advice buying a vintage Omega, something like a Geneve or a Seamaster - budget around £500. This would be for my son's 21st birthday at the end of May who is into all things 60's, great fan of Madmen, etc. I am sure that this question has been asked a lot but can't find any recent threads. Some recommended Ebay sellers in the past do not seem to be operating. I have some experience with collecting new watches in that price range, (Seiko, Tissot, Steinhart, Junghans, Certina etc) but never bought a vintage

So first question is whether doable on this budget and without more experience perhaps I should maybe avoid going down this route. If it is possible then I can start doing some more detailed research. Attaching link to watch on Ebay which I felt initially looked promising.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vint....c100011.m1850

Positives I thought was that it was from the UK, had picture of movement, aged patina, reasonable detailed description and 100% positive feedback. However don't like the fact that no returns are accepted so would pass on that account.

Any general pointers, recommended sellers etc would be most welcome.

Regards

Jez
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Help with buying vintage Omega for son's 21st

There was a fairly recent thread that might be helpful for you: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/hel...4623799-4.html

The bottom line is that you can certainly buy a good stainless Seamster within your budget on eBay, etsy, or a sales forum. Of course, it is necessary to carefully vet the watch to determine authenticity.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

The watch looks ok
    Omega has an entry for this reference https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...a-st-166-0002/ but they(Omega) provide a wrong image saying Geneve on the dial..
    badbackdan likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Regarding the watch you found. Here is the OVD entry: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...a-st-166-0002/

It looks correct to me and it's a good model, and the "all-dial" style will make it wear larger than its nominal size. The only issue I see is that it has obviously lived a very hard life. The case, and the movement, are really beat up with many dents and scratches. It can still be a good watch, but it shouldn't command a premium price in my opinion. If you look at the examples in the recent thread I posted, you will see that given the condition, the price on this one is pretty high. If you are ok with the condition, you might see if the seller would take 350 gbp or so. But if you are going to pay 570 gbp, you can find a really excellent example.

That's great. I shall start doing more detailed research and many thanks for your help

Kind regards

Jez

This is worth watching if you like the style: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Omega-...sAAOSwrypah4Nk

Many thanks Dan. This is definitely what I have got in mind and I'll watch this is with interest. Its a bit early for me to put in a bid as I want to spend some time researching and learning more about the market. Living in the UK, is there any problem generally with purchasing from the US? Nearer the time of my son's birthday in May is it ok to run some bid possibilities past members of the forum. I would also want to have the item checked by my local watchmaker.

Thanks again

Regards

Jez

There is rarely any reason to bid on an eBay auction prior to the final 10 seconds. Obviously you would want to look at shipping costs, but other than that, I will have to leave it to UK-based members to answer your question about buying from the US. Living in the US, I have purchased many watches from the UK and Europe.

Of course you should feel free to post watches to the forum. Since most vintage watches will need to be serviced, you might consider buying the watch a month or two ahead of time so that your watchmaker can do a COA before you give the watch to your son.

Well, I'm not from the UK, but AFAIK you need to count in the import duties (VAT) if the value is above ~£20, which may add ~20% extra to the final value. I'd recommend you to rather search for one inside EU (or even UK, there's plenty of these nice Omegas) unless you find a really good deal.
    Instagram: @borutime

Great advice and your help has been very much appreciated. Will start researching in earnest over the next couple of months and maybe posting potential buys for comments if that is ok?

Thanks again

Regards

Jez

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information