Help With c1850 POCKET WATCH!!

Thread: Help With c1850 POCKET WATCH!!

Help With c1850 POCKET WATCH!!

I obtained this at a Maine estate sale....I thought the 18 under the crown on the case indicated 18 karat gold...I sold the watch for 818.00 but the individual says they gave it the acid test and it is not gold...I now have the watch back and am wondering if the value as an antique is there or should I be happy to get what I can....The maker was Joseph Johnson of Liverpool who was a highly respected & successful British master clock, watch and chronometer maker....He was working in Liverpool from 1795 to about 1851. After his death, his company continued his work. Joseph Johnson is credited with inventing several design improvements to the pocket watch and watch movement. Because this is a Railway Time Keeper, I believe it was made 1850-1870. Thanks so much!

Re: Help With c1850 POCKET WATCH!!

No evaluations here... read the stickies.

I think it's a good example of a 19th century English watch. But the English are sticklers for hallmarks and this case has no indications of gold hallmarks.... too bad as the hallmarks can often date the case.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

No arguments from me here. Mid 19th century English movement, gold filled case.
    The case and movement numbers match which is a good sign the watch is in its original case.
    Remember that a "railway timekeeper" from England is not the same as a railroad approved or railroad grade watch in the USA.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    No evaluations here... read the stickies.

I think it's a good example of a 19th century English watch. But the English are sticklers for hallmarks and this case has no indications of gold hallmarks.... too bad as the hallmarks can often date the case.
    Indeed so:

"It is an offence under the Hallmarking Act to describe unhallmarked articles as being made totally or partly of gold, silver or platinum or, supply or offer to supply an article that is made of gold, silver or platinum which has not been hallmarked."

If its British and gold, its fully hallmarked.

This watch has been 'improved' at some time in it's life. The jewel for the fourth wheel on the back plate has been replaced with a brass bush. This is sure to reduce the value. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Kind regards
    Aditya

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    No arguments from me here. Mid 19th century English movement, gold filled case.
    The case and movement numbers match which is a good sign the watch is in its original case.
    Remember that a "railway timekeeper" from England is not the same as a railroad approved or railroad grade watch in the USA.

And wasn't even allowed on American railroads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_chronometer

(BTW - we invented trains!)

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information