Help - Dating an Elgin Pocketwatch?

Thread: Help - Dating an Elgin Pocketwatch?

Help - Dating an Elgin Pocketwatch?

New to the forum and wondering if the kind folks here could confirm that my grandfather's old pocket watch in indeed a 1920 Elgin, as I think it is based on my searches online. The serial number on the movement reads 23066976. Was there only one style each year? Are the hands likely to be original? Very few of the images I have searched online show this era Elgin with gold coloured hands, which makes me curious. Is that gold on the inside of the casing?

I think it was probably his university graduation present from that same year. My father used to tell stories about playing with it as a young boy in the 30's when it no longer worked. My father had a German watchmaker repair it in the 80's and it still keeps time.

many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help - Dating an Elgin Pocketwatch?

1921, Grade 291, 16s (size) 7j (jewels) you should also have a service performed if you plan on wearing it. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
    1921, Grade 291, 16s (size) 7j (jewels) you should also have a service performed if you plan on wearing it. Jim
    Thanks, Jim! What does Grade 291 mean? What sort of service would you suggest getting? Would this have been a pretty run-of-the-mill pocket watch in its day?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

291 is just a model number, a COA service should be performed...clean,oil and adjust. Your watch being 7j and 16s would have been a nice working mans watch, easily affordable for most. Judging by the amount of brassing on the case it was well used but someone took care of it, look at the service marks on the inside case back. Each of those sets of marks is code for a distinct service performed by a watchmaker.

Thread Information