Help dating Minerva Cal 13-20 Chronograph
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help dating Minerva Cal 13-20 Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Help dating Minerva Cal 13-20 Chronograph

Hello, I'm hoping someone here can tell me approximately when this watch was manufactured. This is unmodified as far as I know, but the blue steel hands make me wonder if they are original. Name:  minerva-movement.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  62.5 KBName:  minerva-front.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  78.6 KB Sorry about the glare from the sky. I took the picture outside. Watch is in amazing condition.
    OhDark30 and Charon like this.

Re: Help dating Minerva Cal 13-20 Chronograph

Probably the late '40s or early '50s, but serial numbers would be required for refinement.

Looks really nice from the front. Given the style and unprotected movement, I'm going to throw out a guess that this is from the 1940s. But obviously I can't rule out a possibility that it's from the early-to-mid 1950s. As you mentioned, I have more typically seen Minerva chronographs with hands matching the applied markers, but the hands seem to fit quite well, so they may be original. The movement seems badly discolored; I hope you don't run into corrosion.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The inside of the case back has 713xxx (not really x, but afraid of disclosing the whole number). The outside of the case back has 1327 stamped in it. I think it's interesting that the dial isn't marked Swiss Made. The discoloration is exaggerated in the pictures. It's actually quite clean and the balance wheel is highly reflective. The balance cock does have a bit of greyish tarnish, for lack of a better word.

The movement looks to be Minerva cal 13 -20.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Minerva 13-20

Looking at the dial and the 3 minute markers on the subdial I would suggest the watch to be from the 1950's. See an explanation below from our own crew...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/3-...os-751451.html

Regards,

I second the theory of the 3 min markers dating the watch to the 50s. Also, dial is correct with its "SWISS" mark at 6 instead of "Swiss Made". Watch is totally correct with blued steel hands, Ref.1327 came with those too, not just with silver ones. Here are a couple of examples:
    https://www.uhren-muser.de/en/46685
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/8e...559e52c546.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    I second the theory of the 3 min markers dating the watch to the 50s. Also, dial is correct with its "SWISS" mark at 6 instead of "Swiss Made". Watch is totally correct with blued steel hands, Ref.1327 came with those too, not just with silver ones. Here are a couple of examples:
    https://www.uhren-muser.de/en/46685
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a0/8e...559e52c546.jpg
    Thank you, those are certainly identical to mine apart from my balance bridge and the y-shaped chrono bridge not being "yellow/gold" in my movement. My chrono bridge is also only stamped Minerva, without the watch company text added. I'm wondering if mine has replacement parts or is just missing some plating of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by afremont View Post
    Thank you, those are certainly identical to mine apart from my balance bridge and the y-shaped chrono bridge not being "yellow/gold" in my movement. My chrono bridge is also only stamped Minerva, without the watch company text added. I'm wondering if mine has replacement parts or is just missing some plating of some sort.
    Looking at your photo, there seems to be some residual gilt color within the countersunk holes in the balance cock and chrono bridge. Obviously, this could just be an artifact of lighting in the photo, so you should take a closer look in person.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by afremont View Post
    No replacement parts, chrono bridge was marked only as Minerva too. I guess it's just a nickel plated finish instead of a gold plated one and the gold-ish part around the 2 screws on the balance cock and chrono bridge is brass due to some inaccurate use of a screwdriver (wrong dimension), which caused a little bit of wear on the parts. I'm saying this because if it was all gold plated, even other parts (barrel bridge for example) should have been gold plated too.

[QUOTE=ErreCi

No replacement parts, chrono bridge was marked only as Minerva too. I guess it's just a nickel plated finish instead of a gold plated one and the gold-ish part around the 2 screws on the balance cock and chrono bridge is brass due to some inaccurate use of a screwdriver (wrong dimension), which caused a little bit of wear on the parts. I'm saying this because if it was all gold plated, even other parts (barrel bridge for example) should have been gold plated too.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do believe that's what it is. Someone gouged into the brass. Truly a sad thing to have happened. I do wish that I knew someone that I could trust to COA the movement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information