Help with details of Waltham wrist watch

Thread: Help with details of Waltham wrist watch

Help with details of Waltham wrist watch

I have recently been given my grandfathers Waltham wrist watch. I was wondering if anyone could

1. Help me identify the model and vintage.
    2. Recommend someone in Tampa Clearwater FL area to repair it.
    3. Approximate the value.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As far as repairs go. I don't mind keeping the character but would like the glass replaced and it to function.

Re: Help with details of Waltham wrist watch

The movement looks much older than the case. I can't make out the serial number, but American Waltham Watch co. was in use in the very early
    20th century. Are there any markings on the inside of the case back?
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...altham/3752431

As best I can tell, the serial number there is 3752431. Feel free to use the lookup in the above link if I got it wrong.

Did the serial number lookup on the movement, but it says that movement should be 9 jewels instead of the 17 marked. Otherwise, it looks like a good match to my eye, but these Waltham movements aren't my strong suit. If it's indeed a Seaside grade movement as the above says, that is explained further in this link:

Barry S. Goldberg's Pocket Watch Collection - Helpful Information - Waltham Grades

There's a sticky at the top of the Vintage forum to help find a local watchmaker. Personally, I haven't had a watch fixed locally for a few years after a bad experience followed by mailing one away and being very happy with the results.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/wat...s-3433002.html

There's also a sticky about valuations. In the end, if you like it enough to fix it up and wear it, then you're not likely to sell it so the valuation doesn't matter. Unless it has a hallmark on the back saying it's solid white gold or platinum, it doesn't need to be specially called out on your insurance.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...les-67379.html

Hope this all helps!

Still wondering; if the movement s/n is 3752431, that leaves a production date of 1889?
    That would be one early wristwatch.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear.../3752431/grade

Production of the movement ended around 1891, so my guess is it was an old pocketwatch movement recased in the 1930's or 40's. Possibly the "17 jewels" was etched into the movement at that time. From the above shot, I don't count 17.

Any markings on the inside or outside of the caseback? Could check the maker against Waltham suppliers and see what shakes out.

Yes the movement serial number is 3752431. There are no other markings inside the back or on the outside of the back. Thanks for all the assistance. Forgive my ignorance, the movement of something from this time is not necessarily tied to the case?

Just read valuation sticky. Sorry.

Still regardless of value I am going to attempt to pursue restoration/ repair. So as to be able to handle this down to my son some day. Plus it would be cool to wear something with significantly more character and style than my garmin.

Only one screw holding that movement in place? seems strange to me
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmarti60 View Post
    Yes the movement serial number is 3752431. There are no other markings inside the back or on the outside of the back. Thanks for all the assistance. Forgive my ignorance, the movement of something from this time is not necessarily tied to the case?
    What has been suggested above is that this is not a single watch or model. Instead, it was assembled using parts from different eras. An old 19th century pocket watch movement was modified and combined with a dial and case from the 1930s. This is commonly called a "frankenwatch" for obvious reasons, and is therefore not collectible and has negligible market value. So my suggestion is to put any thoughts of value out of your mind, and just treat it as a family heirloom that tells an interesting story. This will allow you to emotionally decouple the repair cost from the value of the watch. For example, if you had some old photos that had been damaged, you might be willing to pay for a restoration, even though the photos had no actual financial value.

The watch will need a standard clean/oil/adjust (COA) service, which may cost somewhere in the range of $150 if you find a reasonable independent watchmaker. The crystal may cost an additional $50 or so. If there are broken or missing parts that need to be replaced, it could be challenging and/or expensive to repair, but hopefully that will not be the case.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thread Information