Help with determining value of a vintage watch.

Thread: Help with determining value of a vintage watch.

Help with determining value of a vintage watch.

So, I have an opportunity to buy a very old watch, but I have no idea what would be a good price or if it's even worth consideration. I googled the watchmaker and it seems to be a good name, but I thought I would enlist the help of the experts on whether it's even worth buying.

It's a Girard-Perregaux 10kgf gyromatic that the seller says is "almost 50 years old." He also states that it is in running condition, all original and keeping good time. Below is a pic that he provided. Anyone care to venture a guess on the value?

Re: Help with determining value of a vintage watch.

Look up completed listings on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade
    So, I have an opportunity to buy a very old watch, but I have no idea what would be a good price or if it's even worth consideration. I googled the watchmaker and it seems to be a good name, but I thought I would enlist the help of the experts on whether it's even worth buying.

It's a Girard-Perregaux 10kgf gyromatic that the seller says is "almost 50 years old." He also states that it is in running condition, all original and keeping good time. Below is a pic that he provided. Anyone care to venture a guess on the value?
    It is impossible to do an accurate valuation from a photograph; checking the completed sales price on eBay will be your best bet.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Before you buy the watch, you might check around to determine if this watch is fully serviceable. Some watch collectors have told me that the the best thing about the old Girard Perregauxs is the name. It was not until around 1990 that that GP started making in house movements and the brand began to make its horological mark. Few of the older GP are remarkable or collectible and it is very likely that this watch is not worth much and will fetch more than it is worth due to the company's current reputation. It difficult to find much literature about older GP movements.

Some reading:
    ThePuristS.com Girard-Perregaux vintage watch cases
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/wris...rard-perregaux
    http://www.timezone.com/library/tmac...87699130347059
    Last edited by Gary123; December 30th, 2011 at 17:42.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    Below is a pic that he provided. Anyone care to venture a guess on the value?
    Between $20 and $2000. Roughly. :)

The picture isn't very good, and shows a classic 70's single date automatic. It's hard to see the condition of the gold plating, but being that it's plated the case itself isn't worth much. As a running watch, it has some value, but we'd need to see good quality pictues of the movement to tell you if the watch is worth buying. And even at that, we won't (can't, really) give you an actual value, we can just help you "place" this watch in the general range of what other GP's might sell for by advising on general quality and authenticity.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

The 1970s isn't that old. I doubt it's worth much. I know for a fact that there are people who browse this board who own watches that are nearly 300 years old. And even those don't always fetch much money.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks for the replies, guys. After looking at some completed eBay listings for simlilar pieces and reading your replies, I have decided against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    Before you buy the watch, you might check around to determine if this watch is fully serviceable. Some watch collectors have told me that the the best thing about the old Girard Perregauxs is the name. It was not until around 1990 that that GP started making in house movements and the brand began to make its horological mark. Few of the older GP are remarkable or collectible and it is very likely that this watch is not worth much and will fetch more than it is worth due to the company's current reputation. It difficult to find much literature about older GP movements.

Some reading:
    ThePuristS.com Girard-Perregaux vintage watch cases
    Vintage Girard Perregaux Watches - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly
    Mini Review: 1960's GP Gyromatic - TimeZone
    I am tempted to call this statement "........", but that would sound ruder, than it is meant...

It is true that today Girard Perregaux is one of the few remaining true manufactures of own movements, and can be considered to be part of the "haut horlogerie", while in earlier days they were just one of the "better" brands, albeit with a very long tradition. Like many others they did also use ebauche from the many factories existing in Switzerland in the the 50ies and 60ies, e.g. from AS. Other movements, like the high-beat movements (36.000 bph) were developed together with Favre-Leuba, Zodiac and a couple of others.
    But it is also true, that the Gyromatic (GP 19 - 22) was actually their own mechanism and they also built other movements themselves - allways, but especially in the late 50ies and 60ies.

Now concerning the watch shown: I think it is a nice case, but gold filled is not really en vogue. Appr. 50 years would place it in the early to mid 60ies, which is not unlikely. Valuations are not only practically impossible, but in general not done in this forum. I would rate it in the lower end of what a Gyromatic in good condidtion normally costs.

Best regards,
    Olof

Thread Information