Help finding a Gallet EP40 Dial
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Help finding a Gallet EP40 Dial

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help finding a Gallet EP40 Dial

So after some searching, I've still been unable to find a dial for my Gallet Multichron 12H...I have posted a pic of the correct dial that I am searching for. It fits the EP40 version. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Would be SO much appreciated. Thanks.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 3.08.23 PM.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  76.0 KB

Re: Help finding a Gallet EP40 Dial

Hi,

Have You tried contact this seller?
    He has a monster stock of dials
    There is one Gallet but not what You need exactly
    EXCELSIOR PARK: 1 Zifferblatt für Kaliber JB 40 (Stundenzähler) | eBay
    Chaos is my focus

I just checked with him--he doesn't have the exact dial I am looking for but I may purchase one of his just to hold on to. Thanks for the info though!

I contacted Gallet a while back and they said they would look and see if they had a correct dial, but they still haven't gotten back to me. Ohhh the perils of hunting an old dial :|

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Tnep, I do wish you good luck! Sorry I didn't have any in my personal stock that fit your requirements.
    Honestly, Gallet may have the dial, however they do not sell individual pieces. It would be an available option as part of an overall service. Here's the link, for your curiosity

Chronograph Repair - Gallet Watch Company
    Tnep222 likes this.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Hi Tnep, I do wish you good luck! Sorry I didn't have any in my personal stock that fit your requirements.
    Honestly, Gallet may have the dial, however they do not sell individual pieces. It would be an available option as part of an overall service. Here's the link, for your curiosity

Chronograph Repair - Gallet Watch Company
    In case you are considering this, I will just add my experience here, although I will stipulate in advance that this is just one anecdotal account from one person.

It took Gallet eight months to perform a routine service on a watch that needed no parts. I had to follow up multiple times to get updates, and generally I needed to send two or three emails to get a response. The watch runs well after the service. However, they machine-polished the watch against my explicit wishes, which was really unfortunate since it was a completely unpolished "barn find" with only minor scratches, and now the edges are quite badly rounded on the case. Needless to say, they charged me three times what my regular watchmaker charges.
    Tnep222 likes this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

After their dodgy phone communications and failure to call me back after multiple messages, I can see how that problem could be a possibility.

Let me ask you guys this: Say my search for an original dial takes years. Given that I want the watch to at least look better than it does, as the redial is poor, would it be a bad ideal to refinish a refinished dial? I am all for the sake of originality...but since it's already refinished, would it hurt to send it to someone who is actually quite good to re-refinish it? I've heard the Kirk Rich Dial Corporation is good at what they do...but expensive.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tnep222 View Post
    After their dodgy phone communications and failure to call me back after multiple messages, I can see how that problem could be a possibility.

Let me ask you guys this: Say my search for an original dial takes years. Given that I want the watch to at least look better than it does, as the redial is poor, would it be a bad ideal to refinish a refinished dial? I am all for the sake of originality...but since it's already refinished, would it hurt to send it to someone who is actually quite good to re-refinish it? I've heard the Kirk Rich Dial Corporation is good at what they do...but expensive.

What are your thoughts?
    I think that's a reasonable alternative to consider and it certainly would not hurt the value of the watch in any way. While it will cost you extra in the long run if you do eventually find a dial, you can potentially enjoy the watch in the meantime. And also, although I don't want to be a pessimist, it's possible that you may never find an original dial. This model was not particularly common.

Unfortunately I have no first-hand experience with dial refinishing, but I have seen various threads on the topic previously. You can search the forum, or wait for responses.

Normally I'd agree with BBD, but refinishing a dial will negatively affect the selling price. Of course if you don't intend to sell, it's a moot point. I have not had a dial refinished, but I do wonder, can a company identically copy a logo and not violate copyright laws?

I've heard good things about Kirk Dial, I understand they would buy dies from the companies themselves. Their online gallery is quite limited, and the complexity of your chronograph would be rather demanding. Have you emailed them about this?
    badbackdan likes this.
    Gallet Facebook page:

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    Normally I'd agree with BBD, but refinishing a dial will negatively affect the selling price.
    Since this point was addressed much earlier in the thread, you may have missed it, but the dial has already been refinished, and the quality is rather poor. That was why I suggested that he will not be further diminishing the value of the watch by refinishing the dial a second time. In fact, a good redial will have a somewhat higher value than a poor redial.

Ah, I see. I was thrown off by the photo at the top of the page. Here's how Tnep's watch looks as of now.

Name:  screen cap093.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  143.1 KB

While it's not terrible, it would bother me too. Of course it's easy for us to spend Tnep's money , but I'd be highly curious to see how Kirk would handle such a complex, multi-colored dial.
    Gallet Facebook page:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information