Help Finding Watch For Wedding
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help Finding Watch For Wedding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Finding Watch For Wedding

I am on the hunt for a watch for my wedding at the end of the month. I was hoping to find a vintage yellow gold 38mm+ that would look nice with a brown leather band but I am open to a steel if need be. I am hoping to spend around 1,000 but could go higher if something special came up. I found these 2 watches and thought they were both pretty cool but my knowledge of vintage watches is not good. I was hoping I could get some expert opinions on these two or some suggestions on some other watches to look for.

Omega Oversize 38.5mm. manual wind 1954 | WatchesToBuy.com

Royce Chronograph | WatchesToBuy.com

Re: Help Finding Watch For Wedding

The experts should be along shortly, so here's a word from the peanut gallery. That the Omega is a timeless beauty, more so than the Royce, and would make an awesome memento/heirloom from your wedding day.
    Seiko: skx007, skx173, snk805, snk809, goofy '76 hexagon case auto
    Hamilton: Khaki field auto
    Vostok: '80s Amphibia 470, 80s komandirskie, modern 090 Amphibia, 110 Amphibia
    Vintage: Wittnauer revue, R. Gsell,'65 Timex, 1937 Bulova Minuteman, 1950 Bulova Bowen, C. 1955 Jules Jergensen
    Pocket: molnija, Westclox Scotty, Sears RR motif
    Randoms: HMT frankenpilot, Father's Timex expedition, grandfather's Timex digi, great-grandfather's Cromwell handwinder, random no-name stopwatch

'I am on the hunt for a watch for my wedding'... I am hoping to spend around 1,000 ...' If I get this right, you want to buy yourself a watch to wear yourself on your wedding?

If that would be a gift for the bride (or vice versa) then my statement might sound strange in a vintage forum, but I firmly believe a wedding gift, such as a watch, can only be a NEW one. Over the decades, it becomes a family hairloom and you don't want your grandson walking around with a watch one day, telling everyone 'that is a watch my grandfather gave to my grandmother on their wedding day'. When people wonder about the age, he would have to go on 'oh, that was vintage at the time he bought it, I don't know from whom and who had it before. That might be different for an old verge watch, which is kept solely as a collectors piece. And when the 'vintage' of whatever quality stops running one day, you might have a lot of problems, not speaking of the cost. If your new wedding-day-watch-gift conks out, you can blame it on the manufacturer, if your old wedding-day-watch-gift stops running, your wife (or husband the other way around) will blame it on your bad choice.

But if that is a watch you want to give to yourself, as I assume, go vintage and study the advice given from the experts here.

Sretno vjenčanje! (Happy wedding!)
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 11th, 2015 at 15:06.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

as much as we like vintage here in F11, I have to agree with B-R on this one. If it is a purchase specifically for this date, then new would end up having far more sentimental value (as long it is a mechanical

That said, since I already owned this piece, this is what I wore at my marriage

My MultiChron pilot, and my fathers' Decimal. Both Gallet chronos.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

It's a gift for me and I definitely like the idea of it being new and becoming an heirloom. I wasn't sure I could afford a new watch that was still of high enough quality to become an heirloom. I really like that watch on the top. Maybe I need to turn my search towards new and increase my budget enough to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by rajcic View Post
    It's a gift for me and I definitely like the idea of it being new and becoming an heirloom. I wasn't sure I could afford a new watch that was still of high enough quality to become an heirloom. I really like that watch on the top. Maybe I need to turn my search towards new and increase my budget enough to make it work.
    Buying a new watch, instead of a vintage, doesn't necessarily increase your budget, most likely even to the contrary. If you talk about the top brands, vintage, in good quality for everyday wear, serviced (not just 'looked at by a watchmaker', but with a real service) you often wind up with a comparable higher price, not to speak of the life of trouble-free running with an initial period of a guarantee. And these watches are really waterproof when you go for that.

For $ 1,000 you are not far above the starting prices of a Breitling (provided you do not want a gold case, but that would add up on any vintage as well). I personally would perhaps look at Tissot watches, where you get a chronograph/automatic with an excellent and modern ETA-movement for way under $ 1,000. My favorite is the TISSOT COUTURIER Automatic Chronograph C01.211. But there are many, many other good brands.

I would suggest you go over to one of the forums dealing with new watches (if you decide on that). I am sure you will get answers there, also backed by more substantial expertise. Don't start with the 'high-end watches' forum to avoid being passed on again (they are not with us 'normal' people).
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 11th, 2015 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDan View Post
    as much as we like vintage here in F11, I have to agree with B-R on this one. If it is a purchase specifically for this date, then new would end up having far more sentimental value (as long it is a mechanical

That said, since I already owned this piece, this is what I wore at my marriage

My MultiChron pilot, and my fathers' Decimal. Both Gallet chronos.

I was tempted to say, 'did any of you two fly over from another time-zone for the wedding?' However, as the time difference is not in full hours, I am not so sure.
    DragonDan likes this.

About the two watches in the original post- the Royce looks good, but the Omega... The caseback says it's a ref.2809, while according to the Omega vintage watches database- when you look up "266"(the calibre number)- it should be a ref. 2609. The basic model was a CK 2609 in stainless steel, different letters preceding the number indicate the material- in this case, gold-plated. I don't know if back in 1950- that's approximately when this watch was made- these weren't all referred to as "gold-cap", and that would make it a KO 2609.
    OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

Anyway, at 1000 bucks... In terms of vintage watches, I suppose you could find a gold Longines, Eterna or Zenith around that price. Steel ones will of course be cheaper. Avoid chrome-plated brass. And gold-plated brass. A steel Jaeger-LeCoultre is also an option at that price level.

I won't be discouraging you from buying a vintage watch. No, they're not waterproof. Yes, they can cause problems...in theory. I haven't had a single problem with any of my watches. Modern watches have the fashionable looks, the functionality... But vintage watches have this "something". My $0.02.

That said, if you will find any watch which does fit your criteria, we'll of course help you to identify and verify it.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    I was tempted to say, 'did any of you two fly over from another time-zone for the wedding?' However, as the time difference is not in full hours, I am not so sure.
    The watches show approximately the same time. One is upside down. Both are stunning.
    Last edited by cd1963; August 11th, 2015 at 19:12.
    DragonDan likes this.

Thanks for all the help and input and thanks for the info on that Omega. This is an awesome forum. That Tissot is pretty rad. I've always like Breitlings but I thought the starting point was closer to 2K. I'll jump over to the new watch threads and see if I find anything in there but will also keep searching through Ebay and stuff for a vintage one.
    DragonDan likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information