Help getting information on this pocketwatch:

Thread: Help getting information on this pocketwatch:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help getting information on this pocketwatch:

Hello, I'm new here. I recently picked this watch up at a flea market, and I cannot find anything about it. Just in case you can't see, the front says Lancashire Watch Co. LD. The pictures make the watch look dirty, but its very clean and functions perfectly. I just had it serviced. The back of the case has some symbols and TPH stamped on it. Its a key set and wind watch. The key was included. I can't take pictures of the movement because I can't for the life of me figure out how to open it, and I don't want to break the watch. So I have a couple general questions: Roughly how old is this watch? Is it high quality? Where is it from? Also, maybe some info on the company.

Name:  IMAG0956.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  297.3 KBName:  IMAG0954.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  355.1 KBName:  IMAG0957.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  314.3 KB
    Last edited by jshtulman1; January 1st, 2012 at 22:59.

Re: Help getting information on this pocketwatch:

Key-wind watches were most common before the 1870s. Keyless watches were invented in the 1850s, but it took a while for them to replace the older, key-operated pocketwatches. In England, especially, I'm given to understand, key-operated watches lasted well into the 20th century. In America, keyless watches took over relatively quickly.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks for the great information, but do you have anything specifically on this watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

If the case is English made, the case can be dated to the year by the hallmarks. Making the assumption that the movement is roughly contemporary to the case can date the movement to within a range of a few years at least. A clear photo of these in the back of the case will allow us to provide this information.

I'd guess this to be a consular-style case. Try opening the front, and see if the movement will come out by a hinge at 12:00. There may be a catch at 6:00 that needs to be pressed to release it. A photo of the movement can reveal a fair bit also.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

You were right! But theres some sort of dust cover on the movement, and its not budging. I'll take a few pictures.

Name:  IMAG0959.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  195.3 KBName:  IMAG0960.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  227.2 KB

I thought that might come up, but was waiting until you mentioned it to describe how to remove it :)

If you look at the dust cover, there should be a blue steel spring around about half the diameter of it. There are pins coming out from the movement that this blue steel spring clips onto. Just slide it over(around the perimeter of the watch) and the dust cover should lift right off.

EDIT: I see you posted photos while I was typing. The retainer should only need a small budge to be able to remove the dust cover.

EDIT 2: The hallmark appears to be for the Chester Assay office in 1901.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; January 1st, 2012 at 23:59.
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

It moved a little to the right, but the cover is still not coming off. I don't want to force it.

Edit: Yes! :) I got it off. I'll be posting the pictures in a second.
    Last edited by jshtulman1; January 2nd, 2012 at 00:09.

Heres a picture of the movement. The serial is 572220. Name:  IMAG0962.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  539.2 KB

I'll freely admit to not being overly well versed in English watches. With that said, the applied regulator index, oversprung balance, and separate hairspring stud bridge are very American features that I would tend to think of as being characteristic of fairly late production.

It appears as though this is also a going barrel movement, since the winding arbor is on the mainspring barrel. It appears, however, as though the movement layout originated as a fusee since there is a pivot where the fusee cone would be located. I suspect you likely have an idler wheel here. This, again, would point to later production.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information