Help with a Gotham pocket watch please :)

Thread: Help with a Gotham pocket watch please :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with a Gotham pocket watch please :)

Hey guys I've done a little searching here on the forum and haven't come across anything like what I'm posting. What I have here is a watch belonging to my grandfather. I know absolutely nothing about it lol. It's small (1 5/8" diameter), unsure of the metal, engraved on the front with initials, no markings at all on the back. The pictures will tell you anything else. Any info you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. He's been looking for some info on this watch for a while and hasn't been able to come up with anything. You guys would make his day if you can help me out. Thanks!

Also we thought there might be maker's marks of some sort inside but we didn't want to try to take it apart lol. Anyone know how it might come apart?

Back of watch

Re: Help with a Gotham pocket watch please :)

Anybody?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sdbadeaux View Post
    Anybody?
    Well, if noone else will chip in, I'll give it a shot. The brand, others can tell you more about. The watch has 17 jewels so it should be a more modern (post WWII) pocket watch. The "shockprotected" confirms this - shockproofing on (presumabl) the balance wheel is definitely post 1935. A movement shot would help.

Down in the deepest depths of my memory, I vaguely remember a post about a Gotham pocket watch on this forum ages ago. Can't find it, however. If my memory serves me right, the movement had a completely square bridge layout, rather like the Girard Perregaux in this thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/gir...es-206154.html

As stated, the best thing would be to open it up (or have it opened up if you don't know how or the resistance is too great) and take a movement picture.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The (relatively) tiny crown and lack of a second hand tells me that this probably has a fairly small wristwatch movement in it. I'd guess it to be a 60's watch, or even later, probably with a chinese/hong kong case.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hey guys thanks for that info. I have no idea how to take the back off to show the movement. There's no place to pry so I'm thinking it might be threaded and screws off. However I don't want to put too much pressure on anything I know so little about lol. If anyone else knows anything else from the pictures please let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting to the movement.

bump

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

In modern pocket watches, the back is indeed threaded and there is no inner cover. The inner cover is a relict from the past when watches were wound and set by keys which had to be stuck on to the movement. The inner cover had holes so that the key could be inserted but it gave some protection against damage. The outer cover gave dust protection. But that is just by the way.....

If the back is screw down and you want to get it off without risking damage, the best thing would be to hold the watch in your hand crystal down and to press some rubber ball (or preferably something flatter) onto the back that grips it well but doesn't scratch it. Then screw it open. That presupposes that you have this sort of rubber implement! If it is a snap on back (it will have a notch in it somewhere at the side for a sharp knife to go in) you'd better see a watchmaker.

Hartmut Richter

I have used a large sticky lump of Blu-tack to adhere to a caseback and unscrew it.

Blu-Tack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

regards

tim

I might try that erasuretim thanks! Anyone recognize this little one?

bump

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information