Help with Gruen Airflight hands

Thread: Help with Gruen Airflight hands

Help with Gruen Airflight hands

Hi folks

A watchmaker has managed to lose the hands for my Gruen Airflight. Words fail me. There had been a set on the Bay, but they were sold about an hour before I discovered the lose. I'm not having a good week.

It seems incredibly unlikely that I will be able to locate a genuine replacement set, and so I am thinking about having a set made. What choices are there, really? Suggestions welcome.

So my question to the forum is: can anyone out there let me have the various measures of the hands? I have high quality shots of my now-deceased set, so I have ample visual reference. But I don't have exact measures. So if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate that.

There doesn't seem to be many (if any) folks out there who do make custom hands, yet I suppose there must be. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Michael

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help with Gruen Airflight hands

That is a bummer
    Do you have a picture of what the original/correct hands look like
    Some one on the forums may have a set
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Have you checked with any of the large US parts suppliers like Ofrei.com or Jules Borel? Frankly, this is something that your watchmaker should do for you, since it seems he is the one that lost the hands.

Adam, the attached picture on the original post shows the hands that are missing.

I think this style may have been used on some Gruen models other than the Airflight, but without some sort of an original case reference number from the watch, no one is going to be able to match them up.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Have you checked with any of the large US parts suppliers like Ofrei.com or Jules Borel? Frankly, this is something that your watchmaker should do for you, since it seems he is the one that lost the hands.

Adam, the attached picture on the original post shows the hands that are missing.

I think this style may have been used on some Gruen models other than the Airflight, but without some sort of an original case reference number from the watch, no one is going to be able to match them up.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa
    Ah! I thought that they were 'odd' replacement hands
    Thanks your clarification
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Hi - the thing is, the watchmaker and I are somewhat (as you can imagine) at odds on this. He maintains that he enclosed them in a box with other items 'tucked in under some foam,' but didn't mention that he was returning them; I wasn't expecting them, and although I check things pretty darn carefully, they were overlooked - although a head's up would have been nice - and a third party threw out the redundant packaging.

At this point, it falls to me, I think, to try and resolve the situation and for the two of us to resolve the compensation issue. I suspect that I am better at internet searching than most watchmakers, in any event, and I do have a network of folks to go to. But they are odd hands, true to say, as Adam noted - sort of a mix of Breguet and Dauphine (second hand missing in pic, but nothing special)

Case is not numbered, movement caliber is 510SS.

Thanks gatorcpa, Horologist007!

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Hi - the thing is, the watchmaker and I are somewhat (as you can imagine) at odds on this. He maintains that he enclosed them in a box with other items 'tucked in under some foam,' but didn't mention that he was returning them; I wasn't expecting them, and although I check things pretty darn carefully, they were overlooked - although a head's up would have been nice - and a third party threw out the redundant packaging.

At this point, it falls to me, I think, to try and resolve the situation and for the two of us to resolve the compensation issue. I suspect that I am better at internet searching than most watchmakers, in any event, and I do have a network of folks to go to. But they are odd hands, true to say, as Adam noted - sort of a mix of Breguet and Dauphine (second hand missing in pic, but nothing special)

Case is not numbered, movement caliber is 510SS.

Thanks gatorcpa, Horologist007!
    I am a bit confused
    I thought those were odd hands
    gatorcpa says the attachment (the 1st post) shows the hands?

Do we have a picture with original hands?

and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    I am a bit confused
    I thought those were odd hands
    gatorcpa says the attachment (the 1st post) shows the hands?

Do we have a picture with original hands?
    Yes, they are shown in the photograph attached to the original post; although the second hand is not present in the photo, the hour and minute hands are. As I said, the hour hand is referenced Breguet style, whereas the minute hand is Dauphine shape. They are (were) the original hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    Yes, they are shown in the photograph attached to the original post; although the second hand is not present in the photo, the hour and minute hands are. As I said, the hour hand is referenced Breguet style, whereas the minute hand is Dauphine shape. They are (were) the original hands.
    OK
    Understand - thanks
    seems a strange combination
    There was a recent excellent NAWCC bulletin on Gruen airflights
    Many pictures - have you checked that
    It also has a link to the writers site
    VERY excellent

Adam

and
    Adam

Thread Information