Help with a Hamilton 992
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with a Hamilton 992

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with a Hamilton 992

I recently found this watch in with some other stuff. I am not a watch collector but i do collect anything old and vintage. So i started researching the hamilton. My first question is about the ferguson dial, Is that standard with this watch or something that was added later? My next one is is this a real hamilton? The reason i ask is because every watch ive seen had the model number stamped to the right of the "21 jewels" Stamp. This one does not. The serial number is 369227, am i correct that is a 1904 watch? It doesnt seem that old to me. Any help from yall is greatly appreciated. I always enjoy learning from collectors of specific items. Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  107.0 KBName:  image2.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  115.3 KB

Re: Help with a Hamilton 992

I'm not sure about the dial but a lot of the early 992s weren't stamped 992.

I owned one similar to yours. There is also the lack of the "Double Roller" markings. These were a very early model with single rollers. From what I understand, many of these ended up getting converted to a double roller at the factory and remarked as "Double Roller". There is not a very large population of these movements around. So yes it is real and correct to be lacking the markings.

That all said, dial, hands, and case are wrong I believe. The early ones were fitted in a very traditional looking case. Dials were double sunk with the Hamilton name in script. I believe that it would have been the full "Hamilton Watch Co." signature. The hands are mismatched and the hour hand is the one that would be more correct than the min hand.
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, I wouldn't say the dial is "wrong". It's says it's a Ferguson Dial patented for Hamilton watches. If you do a search for Ferguson Dial, it looks like they made dials for many different companies. On the other hand, like earlier said, the hands don't match. The hour hand looks right.
    Michael Maddan likes this.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Hamilton added more and more markings to watches the later they were made. Your watch is marked 100% correctly for the year it was made.

At the time, the 992 was priced and market positioned much lower than the 990. The early 992s-as yours-had a full brass train, composition jewel settings, and a single roller escapement. The 990, by contrast, had a gold train, gold settings, and a double roller from the start. As the 990 was phased out and the 992 grew in popularity, it gained a double roller, gold settings, and a gold center wheel.

The early single roller 992s-such as yours-are IMO and under-appreciated and not overly common watch. I'd enjoy it for what it is.

As said, the Ferguson is likely later than the movement, and the case definitely is. I'd expect the original dial to be double sunk and say "Hamilton Watch Company" or possibly just "Hamilton" in script(I'm not up enough to know when the change occured, but I think it was closer to 1910). The Ferguson is likely real(as in it's an original Ferguson, not a repro) but the condition is a real detriment and it doesn't add to the watch as is. I'd be inclined to put a correct dial on it. The spade hour hand is likely original, but the minute hand is likely a replacement.
    badbackdan, thoth and tinknocker like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Y’all are on it. I never even noticed the different hands. I didn’t mention the crystal is missing and I know the dial is chipped. So it’s in need of a good bit of repair but the bright side is that it does work. I wanted to replace the crystal and hang on to it but considering it needs the hands changed, dial, and crystal I may just Give it back to the owner (I’m buying a collection of antiques from an estate, and the watch was in a box of stuff I’ve been sorting through). I prefer stuff all original so it doesn’t interest me as much as I thought at first. Thanks for everyone’s help and anymore info is still welcome.

You can find a correct case. The dial is a 3 foot I think. The hands...I know a guy that can can supply a correct set, blued the old way and right. You could look at it as a restoration project. Case....$85-100. Dial $25-50. Hands $35-45. A restored watch....priceless. Well, maybe not priceless but at least a honorable effort.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

As Ben said, the movement on your early 992 is correctly marked for the time period it was produced. I also agree with ben that these early 992's are somewhat under appreciated.

In regards to the dial, it is an original Ferguson dial. These dials were usually added by the jeweler and are fairly desirable in good condition. Unfortunately, your dial has some damage which significantly reduces its value. Being an early 992, your watch would require a double sunk, 4-foot dial marked Hamilton Watch Co. these dials are a bit harder to find in good condition and usually demand a premium over the later 3-foot variety (I would estimate a cost of $100-$125 for a damage free example).

As others have said, the case is much later than what would have been originally available when the watch was first sold.
    Ben_hutcherson and thoth like this.

seth50...Hello. My opinion here: if the watch is available at much less than, say, $75, buy it. It'll need another dial, and matching hands. The case is good as it is.

I know there's currently a fascination with "Original"--and that's OK--but these old American watches were bought and used as tools, and not all that many of them show up unaltered or repaired or a bit different than the day they left the factory.

I reckon Ben has it 100%...enjoy it for what it is. And: I have worked on / owned several 992's...they are a Fine watch. Michael.

The 2 Hamilton pocketwatches I carried during my tenure as an engineer were the 992b and the 950b
    The 992b had the Montgomery dial (if any of you remember those) Its been a spell since I owned both
    and can't recall the description of the 950b.

Bought the 992b in 1958 the 950b in 1060. Kept then til Dec 2016 when I sold them (tidy profit too)
    But there's one sale I wish I had back!!!

Also owned a 1913 Size 18 "Biscuit" pocketwatch. Thing was so fragile I gave it to a Supv on the UP
    RR.

You can take the boy away from the pocketwatch but you cant take the love of a pocketwatch from
    the boy.

X Traindriver Art
    Paul_S likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information