Help with History of this Special Edition Pocket Watch

Thread: Help with History of this Special Edition Pocket Watch

Help with History of this Special Edition Pocket Watch

This watch was given to a friend of mine by King Ibn Saud II of Saudi Arabia in 1955 after a flying a US Air Force fighter jet demonstration in Dhahran. Would appreciate any information on this type of watch that you might be aware of.

Exterior of Case

Movement

Movement

Dial

Wider view of opened watch.

The watch is gold filled and guaranteed to last twenty years. It only shows wear at the hinge and brass shows through in the engraving inside the front cover.

It has an ETA 850 movement. The owner says that it still runs.

Thanks for any help with history and possibly some approximate value or collector value.

Owner is not interested in selling, but would like some background and approximate worth.
    Last edited by GradyPhilpott; September 22nd, 2010 at 00:40.
    If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.-- Johnny Carson

Re: Help with History of this Special Edition Pocket Watch

Hi.

Just to say that we do not attempt valuations in this forum - sorry. There is a sticky explaining why.

I'm not a pocket watch collector and can't tell you anything about it. But its not the sort of watch that most PW collectors - that post in here at least - would be particularly keen to acquire. Mid 20th century Swiss PWs sell on ebay for very modest amounts, and I guess the picture on the dial would make it less desirable rather than more so.

But I could be wrong - await further replies.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

This kind of presentation watches - also wristwatches - have been given by state leaders of many Asian countries. Whether collectible or not depends primarily on the watch/movement itself, secondarily on whether the collector has any link to the country. It would have highest value for the family of the original recipient, as an heirloom.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Hi.

Just to say that we do not attempt valuations in this forum
    Okay. Don't bother with valuation. I just threw that in as a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    It would have highest value for the family of the original recipient, as an heirloom.
    John has no interest in selling and hopes that it will stay in the family, so if anyone knows a little more about this specific watch, please advise.
    Last edited by GradyPhilpott; September 21st, 2010 at 14:40.
    If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.-- Johnny Carson

Quote Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
    Okay. Don't bother with valuation. I just threw that in as a possibility.

John has no interest in selling and hopes that it will stay in the family, so if anyone knows a little more about this specific watch, please advise.
    It's a good quality movement that was popular in the 1950's and 1960's. It was likely cased by local jewelers who had the dial made for presentation pieces like this. I suspect that many watches and other items were made up and distributed. Late vintage pocketwatches of this quality from one of the major manufacturers have a modest collector following. Because it is a presentation piece with no brand identification that actually diminishes it's appeal as a collectable watch. It could be of interest to a collector of King Saud memorbilia IF there is a well documented provenance from the King to your friend. Finding that collector could prove to be difficult in my opinion.
    Last edited by John MS; September 21st, 2010 at 20:01.

Thanks for the help, John MS.

My friend, John, hopes that the watch will stay in the family and any historical information is welcome.

It appears that these kinds of favors were quite common.

Thanks.

Thread Information