Help! I have a croton 17 jewel Paul Monet self winding Swiss

Thread: Help! I have a croton 17 jewel Paul Monet self winding Swiss

Help! I have a croton 17 jewel Paul Monet self winding Swiss

I have a croton self winding 17 jewel wrist watch. The face plate says Paul Monet selfwinding Swiss. The case says *10k gold 17872 s-3409 on outside. Inside says star watch case company. Also the inside timepiece has e3xe p241 in small letters above the croton watch company Inc. Any info and interest would be greatly appreciated. I've had it for years but never found any info on it.

Re: Help! I have a croton 17 jewel Paul Monet self winding Swiss

Please read our sticky notes on Watch ID. Without pictures of the watch case, dial and hopefully the movement we are virtually helpless to assist.
    Croton was an sales company set up to sell Nivada watches in the US. The movement was likely cased in the USA. "Selfwinding" was a term popular in the 1950s.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Please read our sticky notes on Watch ID. Without pictures of the watch case, dial and hopefully the movement we are virtually helpless to assist.
    Croton was an sales company set up to sell Nivada watches in the US. The movement was likely cased in the USA. "Selfwinding" was a term popular in the 1950s.
    To the best of my knowledge Croton , which I believe like Helbros, was a Chicago based company, existed well before they became Nivdadas agent and continue to exist to this day.

What puzzles me is the name. Why name a watch company after Croton?Which of course, as all of you know is near ancient Sybarus, was founded by one of the companions of Ulysses on his return from the siege of Troy and was the home of Milo of Croton and where Phyrus won his Phyric victories. It's now known as Crotone, only a slight change in name.

How do some of these watch companies come up with their names, I wonder?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Front and back of timepiece says Swiss. I will post pics as soon as I can. I've seen croton 17 jewel pieces but all said croton on the face. This one says Paul Monet and croton on the inside.

Somewhere else is correct. Croton claims to have been in business since 1871. However in the late 1930s they started importing Nivada watches into the USA.
    The brand Paul Monet is unknown to me.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Somewhere else is correct. Croton claims to have been in business since 1871. However in the late 1930s they started importing Nivada watches into the USA.
    The brand Paul Monet is unknown to me.
    Doubtlessly Paul Monet* was the evil twin brother of Claude Monet, which is maybe why we have never heard of him. Actually, I have a striking photo of a 24 hour watch made under this brand that is one of the most unique dials I have ever seen on a 24 hour watch. I suspect, but am not sure, that this brand was primarily aimed at the English market. But I have only ever seen two or three watches of this brand. It's very obscure and I have no idea what its' connection with either Nivada or Croton is.

(*Once again, the question..how do they come up with these names? Paul Gaugin+Claude Monet=Paul Monet, or I miss my bet )

LOL somewhere else. That's a good theory but idk. Picked up my digital cam and of course not working. Seems like that watch is the only thing I got that runs good. So I might not get pics today. I'll try to borrow one

Got pics in my photo album but can't get them attached to thread

Thread Information