Help! I think I need help identying an antique/vintage ladies wrist watch!

Thread: Help! I think I need help identying an antique/vintage ladies wrist watch!

Help! I think I need help identying an antique/vintage ladies wrist watch!

Hi All
    I inherited a ladies wrist watch from my Grandfather which I understood he obtained whilst being posted in Italy during WWII in payment for some item on the black market from a local!

Anyway I am struggling to find any info online, but can't find any pictures of any others of a similar design and unsure of the make so not got very far.

Its a small square gold/silver face, gold roman numerals, approx 2cm x 2cm, silver metal square surround, looks a bit 1930/1940 ish in design.
    a picture will follow!

So your Mission if you choose to take it is to help me find out some info on it...... Anything will do!
    Thanks in advance!
    Lou

Re: Help! I think I need help identying an antique/vintage ladies wrist watch!

Please find picture of watch - will try to upload a better / more in focus one but my camera struggles to zoom in so much!

The make looks like Askania with an oval circle undneath the name....but stand to be corrected.

Name:  watch.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  4.7 KB

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It looks like a fairly standard ladies' watch from anytime between the late thirties and the sixties. Nowadays, you could hardly get rid of these if you wanted to - few peple are after them. That is not to say that it is garbage - on the contrary, these watches will give good service if looked after. The trouble is that they only have two hands (even ladies these days require at least three and a date) and are very small.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Askania Watches
    On October 16th 1871 Carl Bamberg founded his company Askania for precision mechanics and optics in Berlin, Germany. From the very beginning his focus was on the engineering of precision instruments to measure time and just a few years later, in 1875, the company produced the first "time ball", a device used to indicate the time in ports.

At specific times the ball was lowered, thus visible indicating the time for all ships in the port.One year later the company presented its products at fairs in Philadelphia and London with great success.The company rapidly outgrew its facility and in 1888 Bamberg moved the principal office from Berlin-Friedenau to the former Kaiserallee in Berlin (now known as the Bundesallee).

The founder's innovative spirit became the driving force for the company for the decades to come. Over the years Carl Bamberg's Askania precision instruments became the most important manufacturer for airplane instrumentation and pilot watches providing equipment in the 30's and 40's to nearly all airplanes.Known for the highest standards of quality and precision it was just natural that pilots demanded a wrist watch that would fulfil the same high standards.

Thread Information