HELP..I want to know more about the watch my aunt left behind

Thread: HELP..I want to know more about the watch my aunt left behind

HELP..I want to know more about the watch my aunt left behind

My Aunt passed away last year along with my mother and my grandmother, basically my whole family...So I've been going through a lot of their stuff and I came across this beautiful watch. My aunt was only 43 when she passed away but it was with her stuff. I'm wondering if it was passed down to her by someone else in my family. I'll never really know I guess, but I want to know more about it. It says L9 on it so I know that it is from 1959 because I found a little bit of information on it. But I cant find anything else on it. I'd just love to know more about it and if its rare and valuable or anything like that.. It was a pretty amazing find and its pretty special..Hopefully someone out there can help me out

Banned

Re: HELP..I want to know more about the watch my aunt left behind

That photo is really bad. Can you post another? I can't even see what brand it is.

L9 is a Bulova code, and probably why the OP is equating it to 1959, but photo is so blurry, it's impossible to read the name on the dial. Looks gold in the pic, but probably not solid gold, but rather gold plated. Case back would say something if it were.
    "My grail showed up today"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Let's put together what we know, it's a Bulova woman's cocktail watch, made it 1959. Your aunt was 43 so it most likely was passed down to her. There's not a lot of intrerest in the old coctail watches so there's not much in the way of references. Being a Bulova there's a good chance it has a high quality movement that would only need a service to use. A service would be good for 7 to 10 years but would cost more then you could sell the watch for. Service costs vary depending on your location, in the US, they start at $50 with double that being average. Be aware that some watch makers don't like working on old cocktail watches so they charge more.

The tiny cocktail watch was in vogue up through the 1960's and sold widely at moderate prices. Many of them were run until they stopped and worn as jewelery after that. Some came in 14k cases, but most of them are gold plated. The case back should indicate composition. For a precise fix you might search Ebay for closing prices on similar pieces.

It has a lot of value as a family heirloom. As such write down everything you know about how she acquired it, the times you remember her wearing it, etc. Put that information with the watch and store it carefully.

Unless a family member has an interest in wearing the watch I would not spend the money to get it running.

okay i finally found the cord for my camera to upload pictures onto the computer..here are some much better quality pictures..thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it :)

Hope this helps, if you need any other information about the watch let me know, and thanks again for helping me out :D

Kim

Hi Kim,

That watch is very special and rare but what makes it extra special
    and I would imagine very rare is the box.

I scrolled down your post admiring the images and came to that box and
    WOW...now that is a box. Art Deco and made from Bakelite I would think,
    that really is an amazing box.
    The watch looks Deco in style also and if it really is 1959 then it must have
    been a Deco tribute as the style is 1920/30's.
    Last edited by radger; September 11th, 2010 at 09:56. Reason: spelling

Beautiful to see it all together in the original box.
    BTW- the date code looks more like L0 than L9.
    Bulova was a top American watchmaker then. The only shame is that these smaller cocktail watches are not particularly desirable today. Most women today are wearing watches the size of what men wore back then, and even larger.
    "My grail showed up today"

That box is beautiful. Reminds me of the "Academy Awards" Bulova...came with a box just as nice as this one.

Thread Information