Help ID this old Omega, please

Thread: Help ID this old Omega, please

Help ID this old Omega, please

I don't know much about old watches but I know that Omegas are nice. My wife got this watch, it used to be her grandfathers. Hoping that you guys can tell me something about it, and whether its worth spending the money to get it refurbished. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Re: Help ID this old Omega, please

Well as it says its an Omega Seamaster automatic, looks like its from the 60s. Yes Omegas are very nice and if I were you I would get it serviced and wear it.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Yes, it is definitely worth paying to have it serviced by a qualified jeweler. It looks like it doesn't have the original crown, it would be worth having them replace that also. Those stretchy bands were really popular for a long time, but the ends grind on the watch's lugs. After replacing the crown and band, and having it serviced I think you would be surprised how great that watch would look.

It probably is a cal. 351 or 354 movement, you can do a quick ebay search on "Omega Seamaster 351" and come up with a general idea of value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Just my two cents worth, and I'll echo Addictedtowatches and Guy here, get it serviced put a proper bracelet on it and wear it.

What I wouldn't do, though, is go for a full refurbishment. Leave it looking the way it is (except the crown, that could be replaced). I really love the look of a fine watch with some patina to it. When they get that speckled look on the face an the case shows some wear and tear.

I really dig that, but that's just my own personal kink.

Killer watch either way.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the great info. I think I am going to get it serviced and a new band as a Xmas gift for my wife. It has a ton of sentimental value to her and I know she would love to wear it.

Since I don't know much about these, what would be a ballpark price to get it serviced? I like the patina on it and would like to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty550 View Post
    Since I don't know much about these, what would be a ballpark price to get it serviced?
    About $150-$200 assuming nothing is wrong and it just needs a COA. Well worth it. And I second ditching that bracelet and putting on a nice strap, a high-quality ostrich strap would look stunning on that. An excellent watch, your wife should be very happy!

So I got the case opened by a local jeweler. Here is what I got, does this tell you guys any more about it?

The new pics just reinforce the earlier opinions. That is an excellent watch and one that should get serviced and worn. I believe the 500 movement was from the late 50's up to 1960. Serviced it should provide many years of service and be a great keepsake.

It is a man's watch but the smaller size which was popular at the time is now a popular option for women to wear. Do nothing more than a service, light cleaning and get a new band. DO NOT let anyone talk you into restoring this watch.

It was a little tough to see at first, but I was able to make out the case reference number of GX6250. This is what is known as a USA national production watch. The movement was made by Omega in Switzerland, but the case was made here by Lutringer & Kammerer, Inc. (L&K) of Long Island City, NY.

Not many of the US cased watches are listed on the Omega Vintage Database, but this one is:

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database - GX6250

Watch was originally sold around 1961.
    gatorcpa

Thanks for all the great info guys. Its strange, I can't seem to find another one that looks exactly the same. That fact that the face only has the 12 and no other numbers seems out of the ordinary

Thread Information