Help ID this Zenith

Thread: Help ID this Zenith

Help ID this Zenith

hello everyone,

I'm very new to the world of vintage pieces, and would appreciate your patience and help.
    Been doing research for a several hours now. All I know is that it may be a cal. 40 or 40T? Am told that's 9 carat gold.
    Not sure of the size, but based on chrono24,which has a simlar one, it may be a 35mm.
    Based on the images I have, the serial number begins with a 955XXXX, can't read the remaining digits.

If anyone know more about this model specifically, I'de appreciate your help. How much is a watch like this worth, if i great condition?

Cheers

Attachment 667744

Re: Help ID this Zenith

Hi.

Your picture upload doesn't seem to have worked. Please try again and I'm sure Hartmut will be able to tell you something - except for value, which we don't do in this forum. (see sticky for reasons).
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

fair enough, vintage pieces can be priceless.
    Thanks again.
    Name:  8027ddj_20.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  42.9 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It definitely looks like a 1950s watch which was the heyday of the Cal. 40 (made in 320000 pieces between 1947 and 1963 as the Cal. 40 and the 40T version - the latter has a mobile stud holder). If it has some other movement, it will probably be a Cal. 106 or 126, the two differ merely in size.

The Cal. 40 was Zenith's "other" chronometre movement, the far more famous and rarer one being the Cal. 135. That is not to say that these were the only chronometre movements Zenith had - all their movements had at least one tested and certified example so that all Zenith movements were in principle capable of chronometric accuracy. If yours has the Cal. 40, here is an example to compare it with (calibre designation is under the balance wheel):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Zenith 40

The serial number of the movement would help age it further. You have probably given the case serial number, the movement serial number will be in the 4 million range.

Hartmut Richter

Hi Harmut,
    That's great, detailed info. Thank you. According to the seller, the casing and bezel are made of 9 carat gold. Is that a possibility?

The other thing that peaked my curiosity is that I can't seem to find an image of a same watch, with a missing number 6 digit.
    And lastly, what would the case diameter be: 34mm, 36mm? Smaller then 34??

The closest thing I found in similarities was this watch from another member here. A beautiful watch, but this one does have the 6

Name:  P3031765.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  68.2 KB

Yes, 9 karat gold is a possibility. The fact that the "6" is missing is normal given that it had to make way for the small seconds hand. At the same time, the fact that the small seconds hand is so far out from the centre suggests that the movement is somewhat smaller than a Cal. 40 (which is 12''' or 26.8mm) - I would think the watch has something from the Cal. 106 series which is 10.5''' or 23.3mm. This would make the watch rather smaller than 35mm, more like 30mm (one of the smaller gents watches from that era but still a gents watch).

Hartmut Richter

So I learnt a thing or two. Do your research and ask all the questions.I drove 120km both ways to find out that the watch was as you have stated very small.
    It is partially my mistake. I got excited and rushed to go see the watch.
    Looking back at the add from the seller, I now see why he would take the pictures he took: very up close and blurry.
    I didn't by the watch btw. Just way too tiny and not worth the asking price (350$)

On to the next one. But thank you guys. I am now that much more knowledgable of Zenith and vintage pieces!

That's the way of things. Good luck with the next one.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information