Help identify 40's Bulova
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob
  • 1 Post By GeneJockey
  • 1 Post By Paleotime

Thread: Help identify 40's Bulova

Help identify 40's Bulova

I'm looking for help to identify this model of watch, its year(s) of manufacture and the case material.

It is a tonneau-shaped Bulova. Case looks like silver with engravings around the glass opening. The watch looks somewhat like the Cadet, but not exactly the same. Could this be the Cambridge model ?

Can someone enlighten me on this ?

Re: Help identify 40's Bulova

I'm always amused by people searching for specific Bulova model names, mostly because the whole notion of model naming was a rather "new" marketing innovation that Bulova used extensively (and successfully) to sell their products. The irony is that the names themselves were somewhat arbitrary, and varied by market, style and date. The same watch could have different names depending on the movement, the exact composition of the case, and whether or not it came with a matching metal bracelet.

With the steel back, I'm assuming this is probably white gold plate at best, but it should say on the inside of the case back. The case back just snaps off (you can see the edge you can used to pry in your photo right by the case serial). To properly ID it, you want to get a picture of the movement, taking particular note of the movement code engraved on the (usually) the barrel bridge. This watch looks 30's, so the date code is liable to be a shape (like a square or a triangle or something) as opposed to the Letter/Number combination used after 1949.
    gordomanotas likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks AbslomRob ! I 'll take a look at the movement to see what code it has.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It looks like a Cambridge. Probably 10k RGP bezel, 15j movement. The Cadet had a smooth bezel.

I'm always amused by people searching for specific Bulova model names, mostly because the whole notion of model naming was a rather "new" marketing innovation that Bulova used extensively (and successfully) to sell their products.
    Not half as amused as I am when people are searching for names for Elgins. They didn't even have any from 1935 - 1951!
    gordomanotas likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

I like to know the model names and/or (in the case of Elgins) the series name and model/catalog number. In part, because with the Bulovas there are some long running model names, and this allows me to collect the series of styles within a particular model. For example, I am building the series of Bulova Presidents starting in 1925 and running through the sixties. Also, the names and series allow me to keep my collection records organized - so I can find pictures, service information, cost, etc. of particular watches easily. I have several 1932 15J Elgins it is helpful to track them by series and number when available. Nerdy - I know.
    Last edited by Paleotime; January 9th, 2013 at 18:06.
    gordomanotas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Nerdy - I know.
    You collect watches. That's nerdy in and of itself!
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thanks GeneJockey, thanks Paleotime.

Thread Information