Help identify ?Goela/Roamer? military? watch

Thread: Help identify ?Goela/Roamer? military? watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help identify ?Goela/Roamer? military? watch

I recently was given what looks like an antique mechanical movement wristwatch.

I was just hoping to find out a little more information about how to use/care for it. I'll post a picture if it helps, but here is some information about it:

* was described as a military watch
    * the face bears kind of classic script numerals, minute and hour hand, second hand in a smaller dial inset below
    * the face includes the following names "Goela Watch Co.", "Lever 15 Jewels" below and "Roamer" between these messages, and "swiss made" below the second hand dial
    * the body appears of two pieces with a single seam along the edge. The back is smooth and bears no markings
    * the clasps for the strap are integrated into the lower portion of the body
    * it has a neat removable metal guard over the glass face that spring claps to the body
    * it is hand wound

I was thinking its either a reproduction, or perhaps a body by Goela with Roamer movement? But since I can find nothing about "Goela" anywhere on the internet, I'm mystified. I mean even if its a reproduction, surely someone else has one?

I see a picture of a 1918 vintage Roamer that looks virtually identical here (Vintage Roamer Watch Site) but mine does not have a hinged back.

At any rate, I really like this watch regardless of the outcome, but would just like some information how to care for it, wind it etc.

Thanks!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Help identify ?Goela/Roamer? military? watch

Post moved and yes pics would be of tremendous help.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Oh yes, photos are an absolute must! It sounds as though you have a 'trench watch' as they are often called, but I've never heard of Goela either. Photos of the movement will tell us a lot too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello it would seem the Delhi dealer, Dhanamal Goela was importing watches to India from various manufacturers for the rail way..might be possible he did the same during war time. Roamer must have been one of several Swiss company's he dealt with seeing that West-end , and HENRY SANDOZ were a few others.

Sounds very interesting. I would love to see some photos.

Here are some pictures I took tonite. Apologies, I'm a hack with the camera.

Would love to know if anyone has ever seen another, could provide some info or links about the history, or any other useful information (particularly date of manufacture).

Apologies, I was not bold enough to separate the cases; looks like a job for a jeweller or watch expert. I'll take another picture when I can get over to one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is starting to look like a semi-hermetic case. I'd love to see inside.

Very interesting indeed.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and find a reputable watch repair nearby and get them to open/inspect it, and I'll get some pictures of the movement.

You'll have to bear with me, may be some few days.

If it has any hallmarking (i.e., silver case) please try and take a really good closeup photo - as this gives a lot of information.

As soon as I saw the dial I thought 'West End Watch' - a Swiss firm who were big in the Indian market and used that style of dial marking. And a quick google for Goela brought up this The West End Watch Co. vs The Berna Watch Co. on 22 November, 1910 a trademark case from the Bombay High Court - "The West End Watch Co. vs The Berna Watch Co. on 22 November, 1910".

Paragraph 28: The Delhi dealer, Dhanamal Goela, proves many orders (Exs. D. and E.) sent for Bernas to the plaintiffs during 1908, 1909 and 1910, but it is only in the 1910 orders that he shows by ordering Berna-Secular that he is aware of the new name introduced by the plaintiffs in place of Berna.

I would bet my left-over turkey against the present from anybody's cracker that the watch was imported by Mr Goela for sale in India.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information