Help identify movement please :) & a watch strap.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By balaton
  • 3 Post By Border-Reiver

Thread: Help identify movement please :) & a watch strap.

Help identify movement please :) & a watch strap.

I acquired this charming piece..mens 38mm ...it was a bit neglected and rusted round the bezel so I gave it a good scrubbing, hence why it looks a bit scratchy. The hair spring is snapped and thought it may be easier just to buy the whole movement and replace. Can anyone identify the movement? it looks very similar to the movement in my Rotary Junior. Also the watch strap...is this military? I cannot find any info on the watch strap if anyone can help? many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help identify movement please :) & a watch strap.

Something like an Arogno 151: https://17jewels.info/movements/a/arogno/arogno-151/

Regards.
    marcc79 likes this.

The strap is not original to the watch. One might think so at first sight, but it's much too narrow. It's not military either, although it's similar to the popular pull-through NATO strap. Except for the color and the buckle, it's really not very appropriate for this watch. Get a new set of springbars and a leather strap. Your 'scratches' are more the gold plating that came off. Once rust sits on such bezels, it's not on the top (gold, even platings, have no rust, that comes through from underneath), but no rust is better in this case.

'Onsetta' is a brand name of Onsa, Onsa Watch, founded in 1923 in Lengnau, Switzerland, an interesting company with an interesting history. The watch should be from the 1950s. They were also severely hit by the quartz crisis, but are still alive and kicking today.

They did some famous advertising stunts, f.i. when in 1957, the Mayflower II, a remake of the original Mayflower, which had once brought the first Pilgrims to America, crossed the Atlantic, there was an Onsa watch on the mast and one tied to the rudder under water, to prove the water tightness.

You might want to throw this into the google-translator if not in command of the German language. Unfortunately, Wiki and other sources have no English version:

https://watch-wiki.org/index.php?title=ONSA
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; 1 Week Ago at 11:58.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks very much for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by marcc79 View Post
    Thanks very much for the replies.
    You're very welcome. Glad we could help.

Regards.

Thread Information