Help Identify Mystery 24-hour Bulova
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help Identify Mystery 24-hour Bulova

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help Identify Mystery 24-hour Bulova

I can't find any information about this Bulova, I've never seen another one like it. Anyone have a clue what it is? I don't know the movement grade: I don't have the proper tool to remove the case back and apparently neither did others who have opened it, it's damaged enough without me having a go at it (it looks like someone took a pair of vice grips to it).

Name:  MysteryBulova.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  251.0 KB

Re: Help Identify Mystery 24-hour Bulova

It looks something like this: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f5/bulo...-a-857598.html

However your's has 23 jewels. the mechanism should be similar. It would be easier if you could open it and have a look inside.
    Maybe somebody else could give you more info

Thanks! That's a lot better info than I've found on my own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've only seen a couple 24hr watches made for consumers from American makers. I have one from Elgin. It seems like Elgin, Bulova, and Hamilton all made 24 hour movements, most of which I think were for military use, but not as watches for wearing. They were used in cameras for aerial surveillance, to provide a time stamp. The ones you see on Ebay, in A-11 cases are mostly, if not exclusively, old camera watches recased in NOS cases.

But, at around the same time (1950s/early 1960s), there were apparently at least some made as wristwatches for consumers. The dials are clearly not military issue, and the cases also look like consumer products. I'm curious about who they were marketing to.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

It seems like Elgin, Bulova, and Hamilton all made 24 hour movements, most of which I think were for military use, but not as watches for wearing.
    I agree...I have seen 24 hr. Bulovas associated with military movements. This is the first civilian 24 hr. dialed Bulova I have seen. I guess that it has a pretty standard 23j self-winding movement (i.e. 10BZAC or similar), with slight differences in dial side gearing. My parts book doesn't show the alternate dial side components however.

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

There's a bunch pictured here: 24 hour watch

From what I can tell, the earlier ones (which this one probably is) used a 10BNCH; later ones used the 10CNCH (the difference between the B and C is that the C is the next generation). The earliest 10BNCH I can find has a 1952 date code; my parts book is from 1952, and doesn't list this model.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

my parts book is from 1952, and doesn't list this model.
    My 1963 books book lists both the 10BNCH and the 10CNCH. The 10BNCH is described as hacking, 15 or 17j. The 10CNCH is a 21 or 23j movement, so most likely this is what is powering the watch. No parts listing for 24 hr. version though (on either).

More research suggests that the impetus for the 24hr BNCH was the A17 spec, which allowed for both 12 and 24hr dials. I suspect they used the same part identification as they did for the various cannon-pinion heights; (which was part 11a through 11f).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    There's a bunch pictured here: 24 hour watch
    Thanks for the link and sure enough there's a closely related one there, but I wish I hadn't clicked that link. I must have that 24h Accutron 214 now :/

Thanks for the info guys, that's probably as much as can be told without having a look at the movement. I may try to get the back off with suction, failing that I'll ask the watchmaker to take a pic for me when I have it serviced.

I'm curious, too, about the market for these watches. Judging by how few of them are around, it seems that there wasn't much of a market for them at all :) I guess I could see pilots, military officers, and the like buying them as dress watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    I guess that it has a pretty standard 23j self-winding movement.
    Actually it's a manual wind movement, it hacks, and the date code is M0 (1960). I probably should have mentioned those things earlier, sorry :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information