HELP! Identify This Old Seiko

Thread: HELP! Identify This Old Seiko

HELP! Identify This Old Seiko

My grandparents bought me this watch as a graduation gift in 1986 and I'd love to be able to find the exact model, and hopefully, a new bracelet for it. This bracelet is made for this watch only, so it will be tough. Here's what I know about the watch:

Seiko
    circa 1986
    Quartz movement
    Back of watch reads:
    BASE METAL
    ST STEEL BACK
    7430-5479 RO
    The back of the bracelet reads:
    1226 (near the lugs)
    SEIKO base metal Japan-B (on the clasp)
    That's all I got, fellas. The case and bracelet are a matching copper/brown/bronze color, with gold trim. I believe the watch sold for around $250-300 in 1986. Picture is below.

Any help in identifying this watch and locating a new bracelet for it would be most appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas! :)

Name:  SeikoCropped1.jpg
Views: 5204
Size:  198.4 KBName:  SeikoCropped2.jpg
Views: 4665
Size:  129.4 KB

Re: HELP! Identify This Old Seiko

Well, you've pretty much identified it.

I have no idea how you will ever match that bracelet unless you happen to luck out and find the same watch for sale online.
    It's not a valuable watch and there were many variations of Seiko fashion watches made at this time, but if it's worth it to you, you might want to do an online search for a jeweler who can try to restore the bracelet. Otherwise, the best solution would be to put a nice strap on it. Dark Gray could look very nice.
    "My grail showed up today"

Well, there's problem with swapping to strap... on this model, the lugs (is that what you call the little holes that retain the pin that holds the bracelet?) are built into the bracelet links closest to the case. Actually the first link on each side of the case IS part of the case itself. So if you went to a gray strap, you'd still have the first link of the bracelet and the telltale gold hashes on each link. Don't think that will work too well.

I didn't know anyone actually restored bracelets. That might be an idea if it's not overly spendy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I no longer collect Seikos with bracelets unless they are long enough (8 inches for me) and in decent shape. I have despaired of finding replacements. Seiko does not seem to keep any stock around for non-current production. (This is one of the reasons I like quality Swiss watches -- they often do!)
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I will send you a PM.
    gatorcpa

i have that same watch

Exact match for Watch U Seek!

Hello,
    I am responding to your request for the watch you are seeking. It is the exact match with
    SN 7430-5479. Please contact Alex at 919-333-4039 for more information and I look forward to hearing from you in order to discuss and arange a possible purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by sopwith21 View Post
    My grandparents bought me this watch as a graduation gift in 1986 and I'd love to be able to find the exact model, and hopefully, a new bracelet for it. This bracelet is made for this watch only, so it will be tough. Here's what I know about the watch:

Seiko
    circa 1986
    Quartz movement
    Back of watch reads:
    BASE METAL
    ST STEEL BACK
    7430-5479 RO
    1226 (near the lugs)
    That's all I got, fellas. The case and bracelet are a matching copper/brown/bronze color, with gold trim. I believe the watch sold for around $250-300 in 1986. Picture is below.

Any help in identifying this watch and locating a new bracelet for it would be most appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas! :)

Re: Exact match for Watch U Seek!

Hi guys;

I just got a nearly new band for my watch. I can't believe there are this many knowledgeable people around here... I never thought we'd find this band again. Many thanks to everyone who responded. If we hit any hangups on the new band purchase, I'll contact those who posted here again. Thanks! :)

Re: Exact match for Watch U Seek!

Hi there, I'm also looking for this watch, anyone with any insight that could possibly help would be much appreciated...
    Thanks...
    Jonathan
    817 707 1494
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by sopwith21 View Post

Seiko
    circa 1986
    Quartz movement
    Back of watch reads:
    BASE METAL
    ST STEEL BACK
    7430-5479 RO - THIS IS THE MODEL NUMBER, 7430 IS THE MOVEMENT, 5479 IS THE FACE I BELIEVE.
    541334 - THIS IS THE S/N 5 IS THE YEAR (1985) 4 IS THE MONTH (APRIL) 1334 IS THE UNIT NUMBER OFF THE LINE. THE WATCH WAS MADE IN APRIL 1985.
    1226 (near the lugs)

Please see my comments above. If you do a search for the model number you may be able to find parts, but I am guessing you will have some issues, this is a 28 year old watch that I don't think is a collector's piece. You never know, you might get lucky.

Good luck!