Help to identify an old watch

Thread: Help to identify an old watch

Help to identify an old watch

Hi all,

First post on this forum, so apologies in advance if this is the wrong area - feel free to kick the thread to wherever it belongs.

My grandmother recently found a box of watches that belonged to my grandfather, and before him, my great-grandfather. Quite a few old Longines, Hamiltons, Bulovas, and Elgins. Really a great find - even though most are probably not worth a whole lot. I've been able to identify what model/year most of them are, except for a few. I am particularly interested in one of them as it has a nice "military" feel to it (the rest of the set seems very "dressy" - but I could be biased as up until a month ago I wore a Suunto Core or a Timex ;)).

Here are some links to two enormous photos I took with my (rather awful) camera phone:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...234514_754.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...234525_331.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photos - best I could do for now. The hands are luminous. The dial of the watch reads:

WATERPROOF
    SHOCKPROOF

ANTI-MAGNETIC

It reads "SWISS" along the bottom, below the numeral "6".

The caseback reads:

INCABLOC - SWISS MADE - STAINLESS STEEL BACK - WATERPROOF
    DELBA WATCH

I have not been able to find any information on "Delba Watch" as a company or maker, unfortunately. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help to identify an old watch

Welcome.

Mikrolisk gives 2 possibilities: Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

Probably Delbana. There's one here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...fo-799556.html and here https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vin...ana-79426.html with a little about the brand.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Without being able to see the dial because of the glare (never use flash on your camera phone) the overall design and the waterproof case design would indicate a 1940's watch which sits well with your military feel as that was the fashion at that time (as well as a desire to sell watches to soldiers who weren't issued them).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and welcome
    I too could only find Delbana in Pritchard Book Swiss Timepieces
    If you can open it, their US import mark is MOU.
    So if you see that on the movement we have narrowed it down

Sorry, that is all I can add
    Acknowledgements - Kathleen Pritchard
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thanks all!

Apologies for the poor photograph. I'll try to get another one later on (am at the office right now).

I'm also a bit scared to open any of these watches. I can tell whoever opened them prior to me didn't really seem to care if they marred the surface... there are many scratches and abrasions on what I believe to be otherwise nice watches. I don't know the provenance behind most of them, unfortunately. All my grandmother could tell me is that "they were my grandfather's", and my mother thinks they were probably his father's (my great-grandfather). :S

Anyway, I might want to post the rest of the collection just to get some comments - is this the right section for that?

Also found something similar in the pile of old watches.
    Dial is copper (?). Case lead is different and either badly worn and/or from another watch. It looks pure brass now with hardly readable sign SUISSE.
    Movement seems to be very similar to Bulova 10BL (Felsa 335). Only has 17 jewels comparing to 15 in Bulova's caliber.

Surpisingly, watch started after cleaning only visible/accessible rubies and adding tiny amount of oil on them. And runs well for over a day so far.
    But can't find any information about these watches.Probably it's first version of brand name Delbana?
    Name:  delba_cal.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  237.0 KBName:  delba_dial.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  208.5 KB
    Last edited by fazerg; April 25th, 2015 at 09:49.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

There are two entries for Delba in Mikrolisk and one of them is indeed for Delbana, Grenchen. The other is for Wega & Owix, also in Grenchen so that the two might be related (one is the successor of the other). The movement is definitely by Felsa.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information