Help identify Patek Philippe?

Thread: Help identify Patek Philippe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identify Patek Philippe?

Hi,

Please help to identify this Patek Philippe watch.
    Real or Fake? Name, history etc.

(Link deleted, pls refer to post #5).

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by chrislwp; April 7th, 2008 at 17:21. Reason: Link invalid

Re: Help identify Patek Philippe?

Hi -

Welcome to the forum!

We do not do valuations, please read the sticky note at the top of the forum: it simply wouldn't be fair to you to even make a ballpark guess via pictures. This needs to be done by a qualified watchmaker who can give you a better feel for the value. Alternatively, check completed auctions on eBay for actual performance...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Looks like a bad fake to me
    You`re interested in stopwatches? Please visit
    http://stopwatches.forum24.se

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Most of us here work for a living... so Pateks aren't in our normal encounter...

Movement pics tell more than dial pics in determining authenticity, in the normal case.

BTW, this example does look quite strange... where is the vendor, the Ukraine?

(P.C. statement: not all vendors in the Ukraine are dishonest... )
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Yes, you are right, manage to take some shots of the movement.
    Hope can identify from those pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, it's an AS 1525 movement. Which means Patek did not make the movement... I don't know enough about them to say for sure but this seems very strange to me.

The movement dates from the 1950's. It has shock protection. Not a bad movement.

Strange to see printing and not etching on the caseback... (or is that etching?)

The watch raises my 'fake alert'. Others may know more.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

This watch is a complete fake.

The fact that the movement is not made by Patek Phillipe but rather is an AS movement is absolutely conclusive. The rest of the watch looks fake as well.

Hi -

Regret to agree with others: it does not look like an original Patek Philippe.

Here's my take on it:

Picture 1: very strange dial! Roman numbers are fine, but the 13-24 subscript in Arabic numbers? That was something that appeared first on US watches during WW2, basically, and never, ever in combination with roman numerals. Never. Makes no sense whatsoever to do so...

Picture 2: this shows it all. The finish is nowhere near that of a Patek, let alone the obvious calibre from AS (which has nothing to do with Patek). The key is the AS within the emblem at around 8 on the movement.

Picture 3: I'm no expert on Patek, but I do believe that they engrave their watch backs, rather than stamping them. This emblem is pressed onto the original with a metalworking press.

Picture 4: very simple engine turning...

Picture 5: well worn Patek crown, perhaps.

It has all the hallmarks, so to speak, of a counterfeit watch.

That said, it is an intriguing fake. The movement, dial, case and crown are engraved, with the back of the watch pressed, probably with a hydraulic press. This means that a fairly competent watchmaker was involved, and that is is most likely not a one-off job, but rather the work of an organized group. The AS calibre involved, while certainly not the same level as a Patek, remains, nonetheless, rather nice.

This is probably a major disappointment, but it would take a collector to notice the differences, or at least a fairly knowledgeable collector. The components used in making it are actually rather decent quality, and if it is a recent counterfeit, it was cleverly done.

I will break my rule of never giving valuations: the watch is worthless because it is a counterfeit. Less than worthless, in some ways: if you were to try to sell it as a Patek, then they might come down on you like a ton of bricks, as they are very, very sensitive about counterfeit Pateks and generally prosecute anyone selling them.

What's the story behind it? Italian? Post-war Germany or France?

Hope you aren't too disappointed with our posts...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Very informative. Greatly appreciated.

I do not have any clue or history about the watch. It was an uncollected repaired watch from my father's shop. So it comes with no cost, but just a little dissappointment. At least I'm clear now.

This indeed is a great forum. Cheers to JohnF / Eeeb / JimH.

i recently came across this from a relative. can you please help me in knowing if it is real? Thank you

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  119.6 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  159.8 KBName:  photo 1-2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  159.5 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information