HELP TO IDENTIFY PLEASE

Thread: HELP TO IDENTIFY PLEASE

HELP TO IDENTIFY PLEASE

My father was a watchmaker and Ifound this in his top work bench drawer,there are absolutely no identifying marks front or back but it seems to be a high quality peice, it has a gold train with wolfs tooth winding, at least 15 jewels but probably more,a bi-metal balance with gold studs,the movement is nickle and I beleive a counter-poised escapement,the only marks on the movement are the numbers 4354 onthe dial side at approximately the 9 o"clock position,I removed the balance looking for some type of identifying marks but all I found was a small 5 point star and the numeral 1. If anyone can help in any way it would sure be appreciated,I have looked through numerous pocketwatch guides and it resembles a Jurgeson butr I am to unfamiliar to know.I have included some pictures though my camera skills are not the best ,it is a very thin watch a size 12 I beleive ,the picture of its edge next to a size 0 case is for perspective only. Any facts,hunches or guesses are welcome, Thanks in advance
    Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: HELP TO IDENTIFY PLEASE

I have just learned that patek,philippe&cie early watches were signed only on the dust cover,and did not sign their movements untill after 1880,I have seen pics of some of there watches and they seem very similar,gold train,mustache lever, wolfs tooth winding,if anyone is familiar with their workyour opinion on this is welcome

Not sure about the movement. But there is a good resource here for maker's marks: Swiss Watch Manufacturers' Trademarks Illustrated - Vintage Watch Parts Search and Obsolete Watch Parts Search . There are a few listed that involve a star, maybe one of them matches the one you have identified. Sorry i can't help beyond that.
    Ben.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The style is probably post 1900's, but not by much; the movement has at least 21 jewels to my eye. Looks like a hand-finished ebauche, to me, and not the output of a large factory.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the input,I am beginning to think Iwill never really know the true manufacturer only that whoever the maker they certainly seem to have taken the time to do it right. Thanks again, Gary

Thanks for the info,though I am still unable to ID the maker the website you mentioned has provided a great source for looking up various trademarks, Thanks again, If and when Ifind an answer I will post it . Gary

Small 5 pointed star is usually Zenith, no? I don't see a specific picture where you show it, so sorry if it sounds way off. Have you looked at Vintage ZENITH movements He has quite a lot of information on Zenith movements. Although as Rob says, it sounds like it's from a smaller maker.

My guess would be, as you mentioned, Jules Jurgensen. The "anchor" shaped balance cock seems to call JJ out to me. Other than that, I'm guessing that the movement doesn't have its original balance wheel, as that one seems very small for the pillar plate cutout, no? The setting mechanism reminds me of other ebauches I've seen over the years. Unfortunately, I have never been able to identify they that have it. Best of luck in your quest for ID.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
    My guess would be, as you mentioned, Jules Jurgensen. The "anchor" shaped balance cock seems to call JJ out to me. Other than that, I'm guessing that the movement doesn't have its original balance wheel, as that one seems very small for the pillar plate cutout, no? The setting mechanism reminds me of other ebauches I've seen over the years. Unfortunately, I have never been able to identify they that have it. Best of luck in your quest for ID.
    It does indeed look a lot like it was made by Jules Jurgensen. Here are some slightly similar movements I found on the web:

You can believe all you want, but belief isn't worth a lot. This is a fairly common style of ebauche that would have been sold to many watchmakers in addition to JJ. I'll note that the hairspring stud is different between the two JJ's you show and the OP's, and that's an element that's usually pretty consistent for a particular watchmaker.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information