Help Identify Pocket Watch Movement

Thread: Help Identify Pocket Watch Movement

Help Identify Pocket Watch Movement

I am trying to fix this watch (ratchet wheel is missing teeth). It would help a lot if I could identify the movement (17 ligne, 38mm). Dial says Patria. Movement is signed Sada Watch Co, Swiss.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help Identify Pocket Watch Movement

Ok, I found information about "Sada W. Co". It was founded by Omega to distribute its cheaper sister brands, such as Patria.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Hmmmmmm - movement looks not quite identical but very similar to the earlier Unitas movements, e.g.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 404

Something at the back of my mind tells me that we recently had another one of those on this forum.....

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can you tell us where you got that information? I'm always leery of claims of obscure companies being connected to well known companies; it's the kind of trick that people use to try to pump up the price of the watch they're selling. And while there may be a connection, it may not be the connection you think. As near as I can tell, Patria was one of the brands that was imported by the U.S. company set up by Omega to faciliate sales in the U.S. in the 1920's. That matches the style and markings on your watch. But remember that the U.S. company is not the same as the Swiss company, even if they share parts of their name.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Can you tell us where you got that information? I'm always leery of claims of obscure companies being connected to well known companies; it's the kind of trick that people use to try to pump up the price of the watch they're selling. And while there may be a connection, it may not be the connection you think. As near as I can tell, Patria was one of the brands that was imported by the U.S. company set up by Omega to faciliate sales in the U.S. in the 1920's. That matches the style and markings on your watch. But remember that the U.S. company is not the same as the Swiss company, even if they share parts of their name.
    "The inexpensive brand Patria was registered by the Brandt brothers on the 10th of October 1892. It was initially distributed in France, then extensively in North America and Russia. In May 1914, the brand was transferred to SADA (Societe Anonyme Departement Achats), an organisation originally created by Omega in 1906 to supply inexpensive models to retailers who were not part of its official distribution network. These inexpensive brands included: Champ, Civic, Critic, Eagle, Ethic, Himalaya, Meric, and Valdez."

Omega, A Journey Through Time, Page 48.

Thanks! I knew about the 1892 registration in Switzerland, but wasn't sure if that was relevent to the subsequent use of the term in America. If I'm interpreting that blurb correctly in the context of other tidbits I've gleaned from accross the net, SADA was a collection of manufacturers and suppliers who leveraged Omega's broader distribution and sales network, but were otherwise independent from the main company (at least in terms of movement manufacturing).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Hmmmmmm - movement looks not quite identical but very similar to the earlier Unitas movements, e.g.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Unitas 404

Something at the back of my mind tells me that we recently had another one of those on this forum.....

Hartmut Richter

Hartmut,

The dial side looks completely different (took the watch apart last night):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Ah well, in that case, it will be another maker's movement. Any markings dial side?!

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Ah well, in that case, it will be another maker's movement. Any markings dial side?!

Hartmut Richter
    Only serial number.

Thread Information