Help identify these vintage Zenith and Tudor watches
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 3 Post By jcbarnard

Thread: Help identify these vintage Zenith and Tudor watches

Help identify these vintage Zenith and Tudor watches

These watches belong to my father in law, he has asked me to identify them, followed by a recommendation on value and what he should do with them. I don't think he has a strong emotional connection to them, so doesn't need them sitting in the drawer for another 30 years.

The Tudor does run when wound but not for very long, it's crown no longer screws down. The Zenith doesn't run, but the hands can be set.

My personal opinion is that they require significant work to bring back to great condition, and it likely isn't worth the money speaking purely from a financial point of view.

Thanks for any advice WUS!
    Jeff

Re: Help identify these vintage Zenith and Tudor watches

Obviously, we would be able to tell you more about these watches if we could see the movements.
    I would expect the Tudor to have an ETA movement, while the Zenith will have an in-house calibre. It will be most likely a 2532PC, 2542PC or 2552PC, where 25X2 is the base movement, and PC stand for "automatic, date". I believe that the Zenith is from the 1960s, and therefore I guess these three to be most likely. But, as I've said, you can only know that by opening the watch up. The calibre number will be there. The caseback should have a serial, which is visible on the picture, but sadly is illegible. It should follow a numbering system ###X###, where # is a number, and X is a letter- either A, D, or E. This system has been introduced- if I remember correctly- in 1963, and discontinued in (here again I might be wrong) 1972. So that gives us a three-year period for each letter.

OK, but enough of that, returning to the watches themselves. From a purely financial point of view the Tudor is worth repairing- and from a purely practical one as well. That's because Tudor's ties to Rolex make these watches heavily overpriced, and the practical aspect- the Oyster case, after having the crown repaired, crystal polished(aesthetics, you know) or replaced(if loose or broken) and the gaskets replaced, will be well protected from water and will make a great watch for daily wear.
    The Zenith will require a movement service, dial cleaning and a new crystal for sure. Most likely- just like the Tudor- the movement is full of grease thick as tar. I think that you overestimate the costs of that enough to start wondering about it being worth it or not. I would worry the most about the crown for the Tudor, if it is money that we are talking about.

Truth be told, at first glance these watches look to be in a poor condition, but that's where "first glance" is misleading. I believe that simple maintenance and some "cosmetic" work on both watches will be just about enough to change them enough to make you wonder whether these watches are the same ones, pictures of which you've posted in here.

What would I recommend to your father in law? Restore them. Wear them. Enjoy them. They're worth it.
    bobbee and mikmis like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Great information thank you. I will stop by a shop tomorrow and enquire further. The more I hold them, the more I like them and think how cool they'd be in running condition, even if they appeared a little weathered. The Zenith serial number is D, so that places around 1967 give or take so that is very cool.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Zenith serial number looks like 522 D xxx ? In that case it's probably a cal 2552 PC from 1969. It's an excellent movement. It has 23 jewels and a ball-bearing rotor as opposed to the earlier cal 2542 PC which had a jewel-bearing rotor. In any case it is worth servicing if you can find a watchmaker who does it for a reasonable price. Or you might sell it like that and the buyer will take care of the service. Please confirm the full serial number for our database.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Tudor should turn out to a beauty, my bet that dial is in a good condition not like zenith's :)
    Chaos is my focus

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Tudor should turn out to a beauty, my bet that dial is in a good condition not like zenith's :)
    I think it's the battered crystal that gives the "battered" looks to the Zenith's dial. As I've said, a new crystal and some dial cleaning should do the trick.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

I dropped them off at a shop today for an estimate. I will confirm the serial number when I get it back

Figured I'd update this thread as I had the zenith serviced. I'm showing my father in law tomorrow!Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1445119339548.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  699.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1445119368422.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  2.05 MB
    mikmis, Charon and busmatt like this.

Congrats, nice to see this ticking again. Should be an excellent timekeeper.
    Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas, praeter ...

Thread Information