WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help Identify This Vintage Audemars Piguet!

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Sorpasso 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have managed to acquire this beautiful vintage Audemars Piguet Chronograph in solid 18k rose gold case and back. I don't have physical possession of the watch yet as it's on its way but I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the model/ref and the year as my online searches have been less than productive. Sorry I don't have better pictures.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
No not yet- I should be receiving the watch next week. I just wanted to find as much info about it as I could. Apparently it was just serviced by a master watchmaker and all parts are authentic. I just can't get much more info until I receive the watch and then I will post photos of the movement and caseback. I was told it is from the Huitieme family of models but who knows.

#9 · (Edited)
I guess it cases Valjoux movement-probably Val 22-23 which would be a desired ebauche from those times -late '30s. I am not aware of AP manufacturing it's own chronograph module back then.
Does the dial mark have a comma between the two names Audemars & Piguet?

AP's official site has some information about their older chronos: http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/ne...-time-the-vintage-audemars-piguet-chronograph

It mentions the distinctive pushers,which don't match with yours and also as Mike mentioned the hands are different than the ones featured there. But all those could be forgiven and accepted consumable parts if the dial,case and movement is correct.

#10 ·
I guess it cases Valjoux movement-probably Val 22-23 which would be a desired ebauche from those times -late '30s. I am not aware of AP manufacturing it's own chronograph module back then.
Does the dial mark have a comma between the two names Audemars & Piguet?

AP's official site has some information about their older chronos: Stopping Time: The Vintage Audemars Piguet Chronograph - Audemars Piguet Luxury Watches

It mentions the distinctive pushers,which don't match with yours and also as Mike mentioned the hands are different than the ones featured there. But all those could be forgiven and accepted consumable parts if the dial,case and movement is correct.
Thank you Emre. No there are no characters in between "Audemars" and "Piguet". I have noticed a couple of other similar era AP chronos with similar hands so I have a feeling they are the original ones. I will certainly post movement and caseback photos soon.

#11 ·
OK I finally got the watch and she is a beauty. The movement runs excellent despite it looking every day of its significant age. There are 18k (0.750), a case number and I assume movement number engravings on the inside of the 18k case back as well as Audemars Piguet name but for now I am going to post a picture of the hand-wind signed movement. Any info would be appreciated!
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#12 ·
OK I finally got the watch and she is a beauty. The movement runs excellent despite it looking every day of its significant age. There are 18k (0.750), a case number and I assume movement number engravings on the inside of the 18k case back as well as Audemars Piguet name but for now I am going to post a picture of the hand-wind signed movement. Any info would be appreciated!
I am very sorry to have to tell you this, but the watch in question is not a real Audemars Piguet. The movement lacks the finish and refinement Audemars Piguet is known for.

#17 ·
Those hands would have put me off this one straight away. They are (or should be) radium filled, on a non-radium dial.
Should have asked for movement pics from your trusted wholesaler.

#18 ·
The case is almost identical to this 2000-era Candino so it might be a 'generic'. The finish of the movement as mentioned is suspect. The hands are indeed strange. I am with Roland on this...

#19 ·
Thanks everyone for your valuable input. Just to be on the safe side, I have contacted AP's Vintage Dept via their inquiry form online and am hoping for an answer soon. It's a bummer because I was quite excited, but it's going back for a full refund. I will certainly keep everyone apprised of the info. Just for the heck of it, here is a picture of the inside of the case back
. Automotive lighting Light Lighting Circle Sphere

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.