Help identify this vintage Caravelle
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help identify this vintage Caravelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identify this vintage Caravelle

I’ve looked all over and can’t grasp exactly what model this is. It’s from my great grandpa who served in the Vietnam war and WW2 as a paratrooper. Need the brains to help me out here and is it worth anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images

bluestifford and busmatt like this.

Re: Help identify this vintage Caravelle

Many watches don't have model names, however, it's a nice stainless steel watch from the 1970s. The second hand is incredibly cool, and I really want to believe it's original. It's in great condition (I wonder if there is a bezel missing around the date window, a Google Images search would tell) and still has its original bracelet. The dial has a very cool speckled patina and much of the original radially brushed finish is still visible on the case. Some people really dig this type of 1970s style, so yes it's worth something. However, if you read the sticky thread, you will see that we don't try to provide valuation in general. That what the SOLD listings are for in the eBay advanced search feature.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I apologize for not reading the rules before posting! It’s quite cool to see everything he has brought over from his passing. I have two of his Purple Heart medals, His hats, his uniform, his flight paths, all sorts of awesome stuff. I didn’t really have an intention of selling just because it’s part of the family but it is really cool to get some insight on it!

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Many watches don't have model names, however, it's a nice stainless steel watch from the 1970s. The second hand is incredibly cool, and I really want to believe it's original. It's in great condition (I wonder if there is a bezel missing around the date window, a Google Images search would tell) and still has its original bracelet. The dial has a very cool speckled patina and much of the original radially brushed finish is still visible on the case. Some people really dig this type of 1970s style, so yes it's worth something. However, if you read the sticky thread, you will see that we don't try to provide valuation in general. That what the SOLD listings are for in the eBay advanced search feature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There's a little engraving of an N followed by a number on the back, but I can't make out the number. N is for 1970 and the number is which year in the decade. So N1 = 1971, etc. That will help you figure out the year of manufacture, at least.

The only thing I see is “N1” or “NI”

Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    There's a little engraving of an N followed by a number on the back, but I can't make out the number. N is for 1970 and the number is which year in the decade. So N1 = 1971, etc. That will help you figure out the year of manufacture, at least.

Sorry! Just realized N1 meant 1971 from your post!

Quote Originally Posted by Sailingdrew View Post
    The only thing I see is “N1” or “NI”

whatever it is worth keep it.
    WPAC OFFICIAL SENIOR BASHER

"your grail shall be bashed"

As best I can find, the 1971 Caravelle watches all had names like "Day/Date AB" and "Day/Date F", with those being completely different looking watches.

It's unlikely to be named anything interesting.

Any plans on wearing it?

Not really. I only really wear my Submariner. I might give it a run every now and then but it’s gonna bug me for the rest of my life not knowing the history of it. It runs super smooth and is in decent shape for how much he wore it. Never got the chance to ask him

As best I can find, the 1971 Caravelle watches all had names like "Day/Date AB" and "Day/Date F", with those being completely different looking watches.

It's unlikely to be named anything interesting.

Any plans on wearing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sailingdrew View Post
    ... Never got the chance to ask him
    Know the feeling. Only ever saw my Grandfather with a simple Timex still running strong from the 80's. Going through his effects, we found two watches that I'd never seen that were very well worn. Both were so ridiculously gaudy that I couldn't have imagined him wearing them, but he must have for a good long while. No idea about their story.

Edit: If it's any help, I've found consolation in saying that they're just watches and appreciating the memories I do have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information