Help identify this vintage pocket watch!

Thread: Help identify this vintage pocket watch!

Question Help identify this vintage pocket watch!

I'm currently visiting my grandparents and I've always been fascinated by my Grandad's vintage pocket watch but have never had the means to research it when I'm here until now. He's unsure of how old it is and a google search of the brand name came up with nothing. The brand is H.Wolfe & Co. From Manchester. Anyone know anything about this piece? I'm doing this from my iPhone and I'm not sure how to post photos.

Re: Help identify this vintage pocket watch!

Can't say much from the limited info, a pic or two would be very useful.
    Last edited by radger; December 2nd, 2011 at 00:49.

He's listed here:

Clock and Watch Research - Online Library - Index of clock and watch makers listed on the website

but you have to pay to have access to the listing.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not sure if this will be of much help but the link below is to a wrist watch on Ebay (now ended) which is also H Wolfe Ltd. On the Dial of this watch they give locations as London, Edinburgh, Manchester. The movement in this watch is branded "Magno" which may or may not resemble the movement in your Grandfathers watch.

It looks like H Wolf Ltd were probably Jewellers and Watch Sellers (possibly repairers, I will try and check).

I suspect they bought in from a number of watch manufacturers and had their company name put on the Dial. Not very much but I hope it is of some assistance.

NeilA

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Thanks Merrick and Neil A for the help, I'll check out that listing, I actually just came to use my Grandad's computer to post a few pictures of the watch and he handed it, some silver polish and a rag to me, apparently it's mine now, which is very cool. Unfortunately the photos aren't working out to well but I'll post a few when I return home with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apparently I'm an idiot and they did work, this watch is actually marked H.Wolfe
    My Grandfather actually found a listing of clock and watchmakers of Manchester where he's listed as Henry Wolfe.
    Clock Repair Ltd - Clocks Repairs Blogs

MF the Hallmarks are pretty straightforward. the Lion is for .925 Silver, the Crest is for the Chester Assay Office, the N is the Date hallmark for 1896 and CH stands for Charles Harris, Case Maker, Norfolk Street, Coventry.

When you can post a photo of the movement it may help identify the movment maker, pretty difficult most of the time.

For hallmark information try Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks their site is very informative.

Also try not to use silver polish it can "scratch" the silver. Better to get a special silver polishing cloth.

Thread Information