Help identify vintage watch

Thread: Help identify vintage watch

Help identify vintage watch

Hello, I'm new here and found this forum while trying to find info on a vintage watch, given to me by my late grandmother when I was a child. Now that I'm older I'm curious about it's history, but I'm having a hard time finding anything about it, I'm hoping you all can help. The front of the watch is supposed to be Snow White (though it's not the Snow White we're all used to) and says only "Swiss made". The back has a rampant lion engraved on it with the words "Base metal. Swiss made. 705" on it. I'm including some pics, can anyone help???
    Name:  watch1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  354.5 KBName:  watch2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  378.0 KB
    Last edited by Sarahtarq; November 19th, 2012 at 00:45. Reason: removed faulty links

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Help identify vintage watch

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry I can't help - the links just get me to the Flickr start page and not to any pictures of a watch. If you can repair the link, we may be able to help you better.

Hartmut Richter

Thank you for letting me know! I was uploading from my phone, so that's probably why I had problems. I just uploaded pics in my original post!
    Last edited by Sarahtarq; November 19th, 2012 at 00:45.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It is a watch in the style of the old Ingersoll "Mickey Mouse" watches from the forties to teach children how to read watches. These had Disney characters on the dial with the hands being the arms and hands of the character on the dial. There were cheap pin lever movements inside but they had a certain charme. Gerald Genta made high class copies in the seventies and eighties.

The case of your watch shows that it is more recent - perhaps sixties or more likely seventies. The watch has a subseconds hand at 6:00 which, since the crown has been shifted to the 4:00 position, has moved to 7:00 and has been replaced by a disc with something (the frog prince?!!). I still suspect that it has a cheap pin lever movement inside. As such, not terribly valuable but is has a certain (small) attraction to collectors.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information