Help identifying 2 Elgin Pocket Watches

Thread: Help identifying 2 Elgin Pocket Watches

Help identifying 2 Elgin Pocket Watches

Hey guys, my Grandfather was killed in a car accident last week and I found two Elgin pocket watches. I believe the first one (first two pictures) is a man's watch while the second (last four pictures) is a woman's. I realize that I need to get to the movements for any valuable info. I will take them by the jeweler tomorrow but I was hoping to get a little bit of a head start so I was at least a bit educated when I take them by. Any help would be appreciated. Chris.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help identifying 2 Elgin Pocket Watches

The caseback on the open faced one likely unscrews, so you might not need a jeweler to get to the movement.

For the other one, if you look at the rim of the inner back cover, to the right of the stem, there's likely a lip or inlet that will allow you to get a fingernail under it and open the hinged cover.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thank you so much, I managed to get them both open just the way you said. The first is a 1925, 21 Jewel BW Raymond. The second is an 1897, 7 Jewel Elgin movement. Where do I go from here as far as valuation and seeing if they work? I tried twisting the "knob" but the watch does not seem to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Your B. W. Raymond is a size 16, 21 jewel grade 478 watch made in approx. 1925. This watch would have been accepted for service on any U.S. railroad at the time of its manufacture.

Thread Information