Help identifying 2 watches (waltham and aquadive?)

Thread: Help identifying 2 watches (waltham and aquadive?)

Help identifying 2 watches (waltham and aquadive?)

Friend I work with found these in his father's old vietnam helmet bag. Not much I can tell you that isnt obvious in the pictures. The aquadive you can feel something moving if you shake the watch back and forth, but only in 2 directions. From my research this shouldnt be a bumper though. Any info I can get, exact models, the movements in them, rarity, difficulty/cost to restore to running/wearable condition would be much appreciated.
    Name:  2011-01-26181252.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  557.1 KB

Re: Help identifying 2 watches (waltham and aquadive?)

They both look like generic 1970s models. The Waltham is not identifiable since records are not available after the American company ceased operations in the late 1950s. Restoration will require a minimum of cleaning and lubrication and will cost more than the watches are worth. However might be worthwhile if these are family heirlooms.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

His father most likely wore these in vietnam, and is still into watches. I think he plans on restoring one of them regardless of cost.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Aquadive was made buy Jenny (of Caribbean fame) and assembled by O&W. It is quite collectable to dive watch guys. Although its not the 1000m Jenny it is a respectable 20atm 1970 hooded-lug cased 17j movement. I have this one which I was offered $400 for but kept it (a good price but its sentimental). Your dial looks similar to mine in different colour The auto movment should be easily serviced bu a competent watchmaker. These were definitely diver sanctioned watches in their day and imo the one to service and restore to wearable{check my sig..:
    Last edited by DaBaeker; January 28th, 2011 at 02:06.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Hi!

If i guess, this is an Aquadive Automatic Diver from 70´s with an ETA 2879 movement with 17 fewels thodium plated circular shaped movement. Cased and timed in the factury by Star Watch Co. Manufactured in Switzerland. I base these facts on two very simular watches on sale right now on the auction site "the Bay". It´s a lovely watch. 400-600 usd (like DaBeaker´s) is a rather correct price. Wouldn´t be very hard to get this repaired. Keep the Aquadive - it is awesome. Not very hard to find/buy, but most of the simular Aquadives are round in shape (not square). I´ve seen on exactly like yours just a couple of month ago on some watchforum.
    Buy an nice bracelet to the watch (search for "ARISTO RALLYE Bracelet" and you get an picture from this forum on an bracelet witch would fit your watch perfect - an 70´s bracelet with big ego. It cost appr. usd 80-100. Aquadive had a lot of watches with this type of bracelet (google "aquadive" pictures).

The Weltham - sorry. I don´t know anything about that watch.

Is the 2879 a common movement that could be replaced easily? And since the waltham basically sounds like it cant be identified, can anyone make a wild guess as to what movement is in it or should I just take it apart?

I've seen similar vintage Walthams with either FE 140-2 or Lorsa P75. I have a similar styled Waltham diver with an FE 140-2, sorry I don't have any picture to show.

Quote Originally Posted by JonasForsberg View Post
    Hi! Cased and timed in the factury by Star Watch Co. Manufactured in Switzerland.
    I'll have to post the link but Im almost certain that the Jenny company is the source for aquadive and there was some kind of an assembly deal with O&W as well. Not sure where the Star Co fits in but I was told this by the late great Chuck Maddox as well as reading about the Aqudv/Jenny/OW connection. While I wouldnt say they are rare I also dont think aquadives are common either. One can find them but not in numbers. The most desirable is of course the Aquadive 1000m which is a version of the Jenny Caribbean. Sam watch really-Just assembled by OW. The dive watch forum knows the details on this. The problem is there isnt a ton of info on the brand. Just a few threads here and there:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...ra-482676.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/vintage-jenny-caribbean-8552.html

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php...o=433477&rid=0
    Last edited by DaBaeker; February 1st, 2011 at 09:17.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information