Size:  28.6 KBName:  PW3.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  23.6 KBName:  PW5.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  32.6 KBName:  PW4.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  26.8 KB

Hi all,

I picked this item up at an auction recently, It didn't come with any history or detail and was bought "as is".

Would be grateful if you guys could take a look and help establish the watch's age and background etc. For example it says Waltham Mass indicating it's american made yet it has Tennison - British made on the dust cover.

It's a beautiful watch which is working very well. Ticking away beautifully. Condition wise it is excellent and looks fantastic. There is a small indent on the outer band and some light scratches at the openings to the cover and the movement.

When I picked up the watch I wound it and it was working straight away. I cannot move the clock hands however, the pusher winds the clock and when depressed it does not move the hands. I have tried in both directions but it doesn't work. The second clock is turning away fully. Can this only be done by a ' professional accessing the movement?

Details:

Bow: The bow has a small Lion which from googling I read is a hallmark for sterling silver - is that correct?
    There is also what looks like the initals 'DQ' although this is hard to ascertain.
    Stem: On the stem there is another Lion symbol and also a capital 'P'.
    Watch face: 'WALTHAM' name in centre in line with the 10 and 2 marks. (see picture)
    Rear Case: See picture
    Inside faceof case: Another Lion symbol in the 'north' position, An anchor symbol in the 'west' area, a capital 'R' in the 'east' position and
    the letters "A.L.D" in the 'south' position. Below this is the number '712789'.
    ALSO: The following has been scratced, loosely engraved in '1893/E2/77' this is at a strange angle as you can make out in the picture.
    Dust Cover: The dust cover outside is blank, inside is the name 'DENNISON' and it says 'BRITISH MADE' - then is says 'A.L.D.' again aswell as another Lion mark and a capital 'R'. Below this is says 'SPECIAL' and the number '712789' is repeated.
    Movement: The number '14017070' - 17 Jewels -A.W.W. Co. WALTHAM, MASS 'ADJUSTED'

Thanks for looking.
    Phil.

Re: Help identifying and ageing this Waltham Pocket Watch please

Sorry for the poor quality photos, had to take them with my phone and compress the size to fit on the forum.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The serial number (14 million) points to a production date around 1904-05. Others may be able to help with the model.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

The movement is American made and the case British. Dennison(ALD) was the at this point in history the designated importer for Waltham movements and the combination of a Waltham in an ALD case would be expected.

A clear photo of the hallmarks would be most appreciated, as I don't see any Birmingham date letters from any time close to when this movement would have been made that look like what I think I'm seeing.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    The movement is American made and the case British. Dennison(ALD) was the at this point in history the designated importer for Waltham movements and the combination of a Waltham in an ALD case would be expected.

A clear photo of the hallmarks would be most appreciated, as I don't see any Birmingham date letters from any time close to when this movement would have been made that look like what I think I'm seeing.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'll try and take more detailed photos and post asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post

Hi hope these help...Name:  CU1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  42.5 KBName:  cu2.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  37.7 KBName:  cu3.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  44.9 KB

With the cartouche like that, it looks like 1941 hallmark.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    With the cartouche like that, it looks like 1941 hallmark.
    Hmmm the poster above said it's from circa 1905?

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I think that the case is probably a later replacement for the movement(~1905 is a decent date for the movement). The original may have worn out or been damaged.

Apparently British pocket watch case styling didn't change appreciably in ~50 years, as the case the watch is in now looks stylistically appropriate for a 1905 vintage movement. The condition of the case looks to be excellent.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by panamaguy View Post
    Hmmm the poster above said it's from circa 1905?
    The hallmark looks 1941 to me too: dating english hallmarks silver and gold
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information