Help identifying CYMA pocket watch

Thread: Help identifying CYMA pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying CYMA pocket watch

My great aunt recently gave me this pocket watch saying it had belonged to relatives of mine who came from England (I'm in Australia) where i assume it was bought. She said it was from around 1885 but im amazed at its condition and the fact it still works/keeps time, I'm a little skeptical so i figure i'd try and find out more ;)

Now mind you, I know next to nothing about watches and I'm not interested in ever selling it etc so not much fussed what its worth if anything. Just a little curious and looking for more information on it, the brand/history etc and if it really is from 1885 as she said and if thats true after all this time would it be wise to have it opened/looked at/serviced etc by a professional as it could be quite delicate i imagine? And finally if it really is of that age, anything i should do to store it / prolong its life/condition etc.

Front:

Back:

Side:

Open with serial number i guess? :

Anything you could tell me about it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not the best photographer or owner of a very good camera but there you have it

Re: Help identifying CYMA pocket watch

Welcome, very nice watch. Cyma is a well known Swiss watch brand. To help ID your watch we need a sharp close-up of the watch's mechanism, so you need to open the back of the watch. Look for nail slots or small lips.

yeah i thought that might be the case.. I'm a little scared trying open it I did notice theres a lip on the back cover you can see in the last photo on the top there.. but under a little persuasion it doesnt want to budge and im not gonna push the issue.. haha maybe i should just take it to a professional :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Some help on how to open a pocketwatch case can be found here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=158603
    If you are not sure, bring it to a watchmaker. He would be able to open it in seconds for you to have a look and take pictures.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Well its definitely later than 1885 - the company didn't start till 1891.

http://www.finertimes.com/asp/watche...er.asp?code=31
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thanks for that, i read through it, it does appear to be hinged at the bottom, but i nothing I'm prepared to do will make it budge so off to a watchmaker i think.. Thanks again, i'll report back with my findings ;)

edit - And yeah in my googling i only found a very brief snippet in wikipedia saying something similar but that it started as a much smaller company in 1862

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyma_Watches

but i know its wikipedia, your link is most likely correct and its nowhere near that age, i cant believe it myself, she is in her 90's i'll let her off the hook :)
    Last edited by Mr Stubby; January 18th, 2010 at 11:33.

Well, I don't know much about pocket watches but, I know what I like when I see it! It looks to be in great shape and is a clean, simple style...

Very nice. Treasure it and I hope it gives you much pleasure in use

Best regards,
    Wallace
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

It looks like a very fine, gold (probably gold-filled) hunter-case pocket watch. This is a guess on my part, but I'll wager that case was made by the Dennison Watch Case Company in England. I've got a hunter-case Waltham with an identical case (except mine's a bit more worn and battered. Whoever owned the watch before me didn't take very good care of it).

after all this time would it be wise to have it opened/looked at/serviced etc by a professional as it could be quite delicate i imagine?

It would be very wise to have it opened and serviced by a professional. Not doing this could cause the watch irrepairable damage if you run it for any length of time, without it first being serviced by a professional watchmaker. An expert watchmaker will treat your timepiece with respect and care and will pull it apart, clean it, reassemble it, lubricate it and time it for you so that it runs as good as new.

If you need some help in finding an Australian watchmaker, I can suggest the Watch Gallery at 337 Little Collins Street in Melbourne. That's where I send my watches, and they've always done a fine job. I dropped off my latest acquisition there this afternoon, as a matter of fact. Other Melbourne watchmakers include Ekselman Watchmakers & Jewellers. I haven't used their watchmaking services yet, but from what I hear, it seems to be very good quality. There's also Precision Timing, which will happily take in watches from all over Australia for a professional servicing. I haven't used their services, but if their website is anything to go by, they're probably your best bet; although the Watch Gallery is also very good.
    Last edited by Shangas; January 18th, 2010 at 15:29.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks for that Shangas, knowing very little about these things, everything you've said concurs with my evenings research so thats great.. I'm in Sydney unfortunately so would prefer to take it somewhere local if i could, so if you or anyone can recommend anywhere in Sydney before i just choose someone at random I'm all ears ;)

Thanks again.

That style of case is somewhat timeless...my brand new Tissot has a nearly identical design in terms of the front and back tooling (except that it's silver).

And unless I'm miss my guess, the sub-second dial isn't sunk on this. That and just the general condition make me suspect a much later watch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information