Help identifying Elgin Pocketwatch

Thread: Help identifying Elgin Pocketwatch

Help identifying Elgin Pocketwatch

Sorry to trouble all of you. I have attempted to ID this watch for some time now with no luck, and now I am here to ask your help. This was my Grandpa's watch and would just like to know a bit more about it.

Thank you!

Face:

Back:

By null at 2012-06-03

Inside:

By null at 2012-06-03

Inside2:

By null at 2012-06-03

Back Cover (Inside): The words are "Elgin National Watch Company/Swiss/10813

By null at 2012-06-03

Re: Help identifying Elgin Pocketwatch

Whatcha got here is an Elgin pocketwatch, with what I believe is called a Montgomery Dial. I don't think it's a railroad watch. There seem to be some features missing that would make it such (swan-neck regulator, adjustments, etc). But it does look like a good quality timepiece. It's a 17-jewel watch, so it should keep very good time once it's serviced.

It looks pretty modernish...I'm wondering if it was made by the ACTUAL Elgin watch co.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

The American Elgin Co. went out of the watch making business in the mid-1960s. The trademarked name "Elgin" is currently owned by a Long Island, NY importing company and I have seen Elgin marked quartz wrist watches for sale in Walmart. I believe that the original Elgin did sell watches made with Swiss movements in the 1950s and 1960s.

i think your watch probably come from one of the companys that took over the elgin name after the original company closed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Looks like a Unitas calibre in there, just like you'd find in almost every non USSR pocket watch of that period.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    with what I believe is called a Montgomery Dial
    Just a minor quibble, but this is not a Montgomery patent dial. To be a proper Montgomery patent dial, there must be a "6" within the seconds bit.

Dials in the style of a Montgomery patent dial but lacking the small "6" within the sub-dial are properly called "marginal minute" dials but not Montgomery dials.

Here is a Montgomery patent dial to illustrate what I'm talking about

Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thank you all that have posted so far. Hoping someone out there knows a concrete answer.

It does keep time pretty accurately as is. It does speed up approximately a minute every other day.

Thread Information