Help identifying Hamilton pocket watch

Thread: Help identifying Hamilton pocket watch

Help identifying Hamilton pocket watch

A couple of years ago I inherited my great grandfather's pocket watch. Since it seems to be a pretty early Hamilton I haven't been able to find any information on the style or the mechanism and I haven't seen any faces that match. The serial number (145537) seems to place it in 1902 but that's all I've been able to gather. Any help identifying the watch would be appreciated.

Relevant markings:

Scratched into back case: om56669, 24186, 24283
    Stamped into back case: 0963694

Pics:

Re: Help identifying Hamilton pocket watch

It is a 18 size grade 925 17j hunter that was finished by Hamilton September 25 1901 and sold to Woodstock, H. & Co, Kansas City. Grade 925 was Hamilton's entry level 18s hunter style watch, but still of decent quality. The first one was produced in 1899 and the last in 1919, finally to be sold in 1922. Total production of all grade 925 was about 73500 units.

The single sunk dial seems correct for the movement, but the case is incorrect, being a much newer (by at least 20-30 years) open face case. Probably the original case was worn out or sold for gold content.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I guess you know already that it is lever set, meaning you can't set time by pulling the crown. The lever in the slot under the dial at 5 o'clock needs to be carefully pulled out, then the crown is turned to set the time and the lever is pushed back in and front bezel re-attached.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks a ton for the info. I've had the watch for a couple of years now and have occasionally pulled it out to try and find information on it, but wasn't successful until now.

Part of the story of the watch was that my great grandfather lost it one summer while cutting down trees on his property in Nebraska, only to find it again the next year, still working, after it sat outside during a Nebraska winter. That may coincide with the case change.

Thanks again for the help!

That story alone would justify the cost of a service. If you carry it, get a good chain, if not, stands are made that allow you to use it as a desk clock.

Thread Information