Help Identifying Ladies Pocket Watch

Thread: Help Identifying Ladies Pocket Watch

Help Identifying Ladies Pocket Watch

I inherited a ladies pocket watch acquired during a trip to Switzerland in 1920. Its movement says E. Gubelin Lucerne and is in a case, but I don't know if it is plated or not, and what it might be plated with. I can set the hands on the watch, but cannot wind it.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help Identifying Ladies Pocket Watch

Pictures of the movement would be useful. Looks like a simple press-in back, which should have an opening "lip" somewhere on the edge of it. If you don't feel like you can open it yourself, a watchmaker will do that for free. If you want to get it running again, you'll need to take it to a watchmaker anyway, for a service (the movement will have to be taken apart, all parts cleaned, oiled where necessary, reassembled and regulated). If you can't wind it (the crown won't turn), it's likely fully wound, but completely jammed with old, thick grease.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Here's a pic of the movement.

Name:  0806171837.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  938.8 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think I've seen this one before... Slightly reminiscent of the Eterna 96, but by no means would I bet on this movement being that.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Does this item have any value? Would it be worth it to overhaul the movement?

Thanks

It looks like someone took a deep cut into the case to check to see if it was solid gold. Looks plated to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DayRadebaugh View Post
    Does this item have any value? Would it be worth it to overhaul the movement?

Thanks
    Monetary value? Not much. Then again, we don't give valuations here.

Since you've inherited it, I suppose it has sentimental value, and if that's the case, my advice is always the same: get it serviced and enjoy it (not necessarily carry it around, but - for example - find it some nice stand and enjoy it as a small desk clock, or whatnot).
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Quote Originally Posted by jimdon5822 View Post
    It looks like someone took a deep cut into the case to check to see if it was solid gold. Looks plated to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know how that chunk of the case was removed, but I agree, it must be plated. Any idea about value?

Thanks

Seems like a little travel clock that probably came with a case originally. Gubelin is a Swiss jeweler, so this must have been a private branded item. No brand name, plated case, damaged, and not running. Someone might buy it as a decorative item, but it's not collectible as a timepiece, so unfortunately there's not much value in it. It's certainly not worth repairing based on value alone.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks for the lowdown. This agrees with what I had suspected, i.e., plating on base metal, not running = minimal value. I believe that I will get some sort of display easel and proceed to admire it. As to sentimental value, the CLD inscribed inside refers to Catherine Lederer Durant, a distant relative of mine (by now, quite distant) who at that time was wife of William C. Durant, who founded General Motors, then lost it, then reaquired it, and ultimately ended up broke. There's the story, and thanks for the help.

Thread Information