Help identifying movement on rare jump-hour Cyma
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By Tony C.

Thread: Help identifying movement on rare jump-hour Cyma

Help identifying movement on rare jump-hour Cyma

Hello all,

I was very excited when I found this ladies 1930s jump-hour Cyma. I've seen a few ladies covered deco jump-hour pieces but none with a design like this with the sub seconds dial. The seller claims it's a new old stock (NOS), never used and you can even see some sort of tag in one of the pictures.

However, and this is the big however, the movement is completely blank. It's not signed Cyma, doesn't have a 'swiss made' or the number of jewels on it. And all other Cyma's of the period I've seen are signed and have different kinds of hallmarks. The seller claims not all manufacturers signed their movements at the time and that to his knowledge the movement isn't from another manufacturer. Any opinions? And if it's not Cyma, what could this blank movement be? And does this mean I should be weary about the dial being original as well? Below are some pictures of the watch:

Name:  Cyma 1931 Jump Hour- case and dial.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  17.9 KBName:  Cyma 1931 Jump Hour- odd movement.JPG
Size:  57.7 KBName:  Cyma 1931 Jump Hour- case back number (2).JPG
Views: 117
Size:  36.3 KB

And here's a Cyma caliber 354, which was used on some ladies models from the 30s, for comparison.

Name:  Cyma 354.JPG
Size:  71.2 KB

Thanks in advance for any insights!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help identifying movement on rare jump-hour Cyma

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Never seen a Cyma movement without any sign.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow yes, it does look like it doesn't it? I know Peseux made other similar jump hour pieces at the time, and I think might've had a patent out on them? Anyway, it seems like that's what it is from the pic. Thanks for the find!

I thought Cyma made their movements in-house though, or was that not always the case even in the early 30s?

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

The jump modules tend to sit under the dial. Perhaps it was easier to buy in the whole calibre than modify an in house one. On the other hand it could be a redial though I don't see why it would have changed manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    On the other hand it could be a redial though I don't see why it would have changed manufacturer.
    Because a Cyma would have been priced higher than a watch from a brand no one's ever heard of...
    bubba48 likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Because a Cyma would have been priced higher than a watch from a brand no one's ever heard of...
    ...and the seller has a lot of redialed watches on sale...

Got a link to the other watches from this seller? Let's have a look at how the listings are formulated, this usually tends to say a lot about the risk of running into a redial.

EDIT: Just found it. 2050 EURO?! No. Just, no. It's not even a rip-off- it's madness. But what it most certainly is, it's a bad deal, with authenticity at least questionable.
    New old stock? New old schlock, that sounds more like it.
    Last edited by mkws; February 25th, 2016 at 01:13.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

I certainly don't believe that it is an original dial, and therefore, probably not a Cyma.
    mkws and bubba48 like this.

I can't link to the site, post count too low... but the name of the seller is Gisbert A. Joseph (shop.joseph-watchesdotcom) All Cyma models except the two jump hour ones have pictures of signed calibers. But I can't tell if they're redials... I'm really very new to this. The seller of course insists they're new old stock, as is written on the site, and gives that as the reason for the high pricing.

The price is outrageous no question, but I thought the chances of a redial were lower if it was Cyma, I mean compared to the number of ppl out there doing redials of JLC, Omega & Rolex. *sigh* finding a good vintage is much harder than I thought. Thank god for these forums.

Thread Information