Help identifying my great-grandfather's watch
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Help identifying my great-grandfather's watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi all,
    I'm back in my home town for Christmas and have stumbled upon my great-grandfather's old Omega. I am wondering if anybody has any knowledge as to what exactly this watch is as it is currently not operational and knowing what it is would make it easier to fix.

Thanks in advance :)
    busmatt likes this.

Re: Help identifying my great-grandfather's watch

HaydenM...Hello. As you might have noticed if you had spent some time looking-over this Forum before Posting your images, it is almost always necessary for folks here to see the movement of the watch! We really cannot tell all that much if we cannot 'see inside'.

This Omega has a screw-on back, and a special tool is required to open it, something called a "case wrench". You will probably need to take it to a watchmaker to have it opened. The shop absolutely need not be an Omega Service Center...any independent shop will do.

There is a chance that this case back is not tight...take a piece of wood & bring it to a dull point, then insert it into one of the notches, and try to turn the back counter-clockwise...it may loosen the back.

Once you get the back off, Post another image or two, and we'll tell you all you need to know! Michael.
    badbackdan and busmatt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Maddan View Post
    HaydenM...Hello. As you might have noticed if you had spent some time looking-over this Forum before Posting your images, it is almost always necessary for folks here to see the movement of the watch! We really cannot tell all that much if we cannot 'see inside'.

This Omega has a screw-on back, and a special tool is required to open it, something called a "case wrench". You will probably need to take it to a watchmaker to have it opened. The shop absolutely need not be an Omega Service Center...any independent shop will do.

There is a chance that this case back is not tight...take a piece of wood & bring it to a dull point, then insert it into one of the notches, and try to turn the back counter-clockwise...it may loosen the back.

Once you get the back off, Post another image or two, and we'll tell you all you need to know! Michael.
    All good mate. I expected that could be the case. Unfortunately my watch tools are a few hundred kilometres away and I didn't want to do anything that would damage the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Looks like an interesting watch, I look forward to seeing the inside. If you measured the size of the case, we could take some guesses as to what is inside (you didn't say, but I assume it is manual-winding), but it would be mainly speculation and not very worthwhile. I suspect that this is a fairly early screw-back case. Also, I see that the lug holes are worn through; is the case solid gold?
    Last edited by badbackdan; December 27th, 2017 at 16:11.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Looks like an interesting watch, I look forward to seeing the inside. If you measured the size of the case, we could take some guesses as to what is inside (you didn't say, but I assume it is manual-winding), but it would be mainly speculation and not very worthwhile. I suspect that this is a fairly early screw-back case. Also, I see that the lug holes are worn through; is the case solid gold?
    The case I have not properly measured but I would guess sits at about 34mm. I believe it's manual winding but the movement it somewhat seized so it's not a guarantee.
    EDIT: as for the case material I don't have a springbar tool up here so can't remove them at the moment. When I get the case back off hopefully there will b a note of the case material.

Last edited by HaydenM; December 27th, 2017 at 23:46.

Well the dial doesn't say "AUTOMATIC", so I'm guessing it's a manual winder. With luck it will be a 30T2 or derivative (260-series); good movements and worth repairing. I think you may also need to address the lug-hole issue. Personally, I would just live with the dial as it is, especially since it has family history. The dial looks like it may have seen some humidity, so fingers crossed the movement isn't too bad.

Well the dial doesn't say "AUTOMATIC", so I'm guessing it's a manual winder. With luck it will be a 30T2 or derivative (260-series); good movements and worth repairing. I think you may also need to address the lug-hole issue. Personally, I would just live with the dial as it is, especially since it has family history. The dial looks like it may have seen some humidity, so fingers crossed the movement isn't too bad.
    I'm guessing that this model certainly wouldn't have had through and through lug holes is what you're saying. Could this just be remedied by finding springboard designed for lugholes?

Quote Originally Posted by HaydenM View Post
    I'm guessing that this model certainly wouldn't have had through and through lug holes is what you're saying. Could this just be remedied by finding springboard designed for lugholes?
    No, what I'm saying is that the spring-bars should not be protruding through to the outside of the lugs. This generally only happens when the holes have been "opened-up" through a lot of wear and tear, and this is more common with softer metals. Possibly you can find special spring-bars with large flanges, or your watchmaker may have a solution. If all else fails, I believe that laser welding by a jeweler would provide a permanent solution. You still haven't mentioned the material of the case. It looks yellowish in the photos, but it's hard for me to tell for sure.

No, what I'm saying is that the spring-bars should not be protruding through to the outside of the lugs. This generally only happens when the holes have been "opened-up" through a lot of wear and tear, and this is more common with softer metals. Possibly you can find special spring-bars with large flanges, or your watchmaker may have a solution. If all else fails, I believe that laser welding by a jeweler would provide a permanent solution. You still haven't mentioned the material of the case. It looks yellowish in the photos, but it's hard for me to tell for sure.
    I haven't mentioned the case material as at this time I do not know with certainty what the case is made of. It is somewhat gold in colour but somewhat looks closer to a rose gold colour.

UPDATE: So the watch is now in my possession and I have been able to get the case back off.

Sorry for the shocking quality of photos by the way, I don't have either my macro lens or by watch tools in my home town. Will be heading back to my current place tomorrow so I can get both better photos and a start on fixing this.

EDIT: @badbackdan can now say that the case is solid 9ct gold by the looks of it.
    Last edited by HaydenM; December 28th, 2017 at 08:18.
    badbackdan and busmatt like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information