Help identifying no text logo w/ an ETA 2783
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OPChagall
  • 1 Post By OPChagall

Thread: Help identifying no text logo w/ an ETA 2783

Help identifying no text logo w/ an ETA 2783

Here's one advertised on Etsy that the seller couldn't identify, but looks to have an ETA 2783 and a logo that resembles Tavannes but with clear differences, i.e., the arrow and square dot. Anyone familiar with this one:

Name:  iu arrow 01.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  iu arrow 02.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  iu arrow 05.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  231.8 KB

Name:  iu arrow 03.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  68.7 KB

Yep, the case has got some pitting and other degradation, but I like the dial, with its blue/green tone, and how the red dot on the second hand fits with the red date numerals. And I'd like to start tinkering with automatic movements.

Re: Help identifying no text logo w/ an ETA 2783

I have a feeling that this watch is less a mystery than it is of interest to others. Understood - it may not be vintage after all and may not have much collector's value. But, I suppose it's worth one more shot/bump. Thanks for any insight anyone may have!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I'm sorry but I have been away for a few days so I couldn't reply at length. Personally, to me it looks like some sort of private label watch. I am reminded of an article in a Germany watch magazine about chronographs from the 1970s that were identical but with different brand names on the dial. These were made for small companies or even (small or large) non-watch companies by private label assemblers. You had the option of a few dial styles a few case styles and a few hand styles, you ordered some sort of mixture and they slapped your name on the dial as they went along assembling your order. Only that in this case, you only get a logo, no name. If one could identify the logo, this would be the best way to proceed (no match in Mikrolisk, I'm afraid).

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Hartmut. (Definitely no need to apologize. Any observations from the core f11 group is always a bonus.) Anonymous and semi-personal. A logo without a brand.
    busmatt likes this.

To add a thought to Hartmut's reply… rather than looking at private labels (ie independent jewellery stores and so on), I'd suggest that this is a corporate logo and the watch was more likely spec'd by a supplier to such a corporation to commemorate some significant moment in their history. What I mean is that a company – this looks to me some sort of transport or mechanical entity – would have asked some sort of independent supplier to organise a unique dial printing and the whole combo to be brought together and furnished to hand out as awards or whatever. Unusual in that there is no engraving to note it, as there often is, though.

A slight evolution of H's reply, then; if you want to get to the bottom of it, then go hunting through various sector corporate logos. I tried to searching by dropping the logo into Google Images and nothing returned, so you're on your own, I'm afraid.

Yes, like said, it looks to be a private label watch. A company logo. Funnily the logo reminds of rude pictures you see drawn to the toilet walls with f-words. Movement is from 1970-75, may have been used in private labels at the end part of production or more likely after it. Worn out chromium case, suggest it has been a cheap one. Movement looks good though, it is good for spares.

Well, there are plenty of 2783s out there for less, so I may just look elsewhere. I cleaned up the logo and also tried Google Images, to no avail. I'm not really interested in looking further. Who knows how many forgotten logos are out there.
    Habitant likes this.

It's a Camif

And CAMIF stands for Coopérative des Adhérents de la Mutuelle des Instituteurs de France
    Thats something like the french teachers health insurance. Interesting that they would sell (?) watches as well.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Probably private label. I presume that the linkage cones from somewhere like here (just to confirm the logo)?

camif - identification!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information